Bonus Materials on DVD - how to include

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
oharag

Bonus Materials on DVD - how to include

Post by oharag »

Hello I just started ripping my old DVDs to Plex. I'm on MacOSX Sonoma - Mac Mini M1. I did some preliminary research, and ended up selecting Make MKV combined with Handbrake. I prefer MP4 for my AppleTV.

So being a noob - I open MakeMKV -It reads my DVD player with Disc inserted - and then I hit Backup. It does its job well - no complaints. It saves a ISO file to my Movies Backup folder. I then use Handbrake with AppleTV 4K settings and then convert to MP4.

So here is my issue - if DVD Player App and open the DVD in my plater I get controls at the bottom. I get better controls - I can open the Menu for the DVD - and I can see a bunch of options - one of them is Play Extras or Bonus materials. If I play the movie ripped to my HD the movie starts but there are no means to access the extra bonus material. Was it removed during my rip?

If I click on the DVD Icon in MakeMKV I can see all of the contents - languages - bonus material. When I do this it grays out make a backup - and instead says Make MKV. I'm trying this now to see the difference between backup and mkv.

I guess the beauty of MakeMKV ISO is that Handbrake can open and convert directly. I know you have to add another conversion program to convert mkv to MPEG4. Seems to be too many conversions.

Am I doing this incorrectly? I believe Plex can play MKV (?) directly. I just want to also play these movies on my AppleTV as well. Any thoughts on my post would be appreciated. Remember I'm a noob.
pyxis

Re: Bonus Materials on DVD - how to include

Post by pyxis »

only answer to one part, but i use .mkv and for appletv the app - infuse: https://firecore.com/infuse
infuse can play a lot of file types

instead of plex i use jellyfin: https://jellyfin.org/