Help with Conversion Profile for LPCM output

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
silverlight99

Help with Conversion Profile for LPCM output

Post by silverlight99 »

Hi - per instructions on this page viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4385 and this page viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386 I have been trying to build a custom profile to decode from DTS-HD (or TrueHD) to LPCM-wavex container within the MKV file. I happen to have a piece of equipment that I use for the audio playback of movies that won't decode (Smyth Research Realiser A8, it's pretty amazing btw). So I've successfully created embedded FLAC with the default FLAC profile no problem, which I thought would take care of it assuming VLC would then decode FLAC on the fly and output LPCM over HDMI but didn't work. I have previously gotten LPCM to work but channel order was often an issue. My hope is that the LPCM-wavex container may help with channel assignment versus raw LPCM.

So any help in what the custom profile file should look like would be greatly appreciated. I did experiment, I got one to show up in GUI (placed the file in the /[user]/.MakeMKV hidden data folder), but I was getting a direct copy. Most recent attempt caused a "Fatal Error" so definitely didn't get it right there.... For someone familiar with the syntax I'm sure it's quite straight forward. Thanks!
Romansh

Re: Help with Conversion Profile for LPCM output

Post by Romansh »

VLC does not support "LPCM-wavex" in MKV. You won't get any audio.

Decoding FLAC to PCM and sending it over HDMI may still be possible with VLC - ask on the VLC forum, maybe someone'll have an idea on how to configure it to that effect.
silverlight99

Re: Help with Conversion Profile for LPCM output

Post by silverlight99 »

Romansh wrote:VLC does not support "LPCM-wavex" in MKV. You won't get any audio.

Decoding FLAC to PCM and sending it over HDMI may still be possible with VLC - ask on the VLC forum, maybe someone'll have an idea on how to configure it to that effect.
Hi - helpful feedback, thank you. I'll do some more work on VLC and ask around to see if I can make that work. There may also be other playback software that can adequately handle multi channel LPCM output over HDMI from FLAC