POSIX error after newer version.

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
funkho

POSIX error after newer version.

Post by funkho »

I am gathering information on this issue as I thought it was my problem for a very long time.

At some point in the recent versions, I started getting POSIX Error randomly while reading in discs. At first, I thought this was just a bad disc. Replaced the disc and I still got the error. Next, I update the software to 1.8.1 thinking it may be resolved. Got the POSIX error again. Next, I thought it was my drive (external USB drive). I attempted to run the disc on MakeMKV in windows using the same external USB Drive... Bingo, it worked.

So I went back to my OSX machine and I tried to rip a disc after uninstalling DASPI 1.3. Still got the same POSIX error. At that point, I figured it must be my BDROM, so I bought another internal drive, and tried again. Same POSIX error.

So I decided to run my discs through Windows MakeMKV for a while. Then, the other day, I wanted to run a DVD, so I attempted to run a DVD using my OSX MakeMKV 1.8.1, got the POSIX error... So now I'm thinking it's not even Blu-Ray, it's just MakeMKV.

So I dug into my old files and I installed MakeMKV 1.7.4...

Ran the rip of the DVD. Worked like a champ.

I have not yet nailed down which version I upgraded to that started giving me the errors, but the next file I have downloaded in the history of my computer is 1.7.10... I will upgrade to that and see if the POSIX error returns.

I'm starting this thread to gather more information. Let me know what you need, and I will provide it.

I am running 10.8.3... Currently NOT using DASPI, but I will re-install to see what happens.

The next thing I plan to do is re-install DASPI and run a Blu-Ray using 1.7.4... If that works, I will upgrade to 1.7.10 and see if the error returns. That should pinpoint that this showed up somewhere between 1.7.4 and 1.7.10. I would be willing to attempt to pinpoint it further, but I cannot see a download link for previous versions of MakeMKV.
funkho

Re: POSIX error after newer version.

Post by funkho »

funkho wrote: Then, the other day, I wanted to run a DVD, so I attempted to run a DVD using my OSX MakeMKV 1.8.1, got the POSIX error... So now I'm thinking it's not even Blu-Ray, it's just MakeMKV.
Want to point out that I ran the DVD using the internal drive that came with my Mac Pro.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please post the text of this posix error. Normally you shouldn't get them with DASPI or with 1.8.1 . Better please post the full log file.
funkho

Post by funkho »

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.8.1 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N PQ06" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.
Optical drive "BD-ROM PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207D 1.00" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.
Using direct disc access mode
Title #00047.mpls has length of 104 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00061.mpls was added as title #0
Title #01000.mpls has length of 90 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01001.mpls has length of 90 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00086.mpls has length of 50 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00101.mpls was added as title #1
File 00092.mpls was added as title #2
Title #00000.m2ts has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00008.m2ts has length of 24 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00010.m2ts was added as title #3
File 00013.m2ts was added as title #4
File 00014.m2ts was added as title #5
File 00022.m2ts was added as title #6
Title #00023.m2ts has length of 61 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00024.m2ts has length of 54 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00025.m2ts was added as title #7
Title #00026.m2ts has length of 92 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00027.m2ts has length of 54 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00028.m2ts has length of 34 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00029.m2ts was added as title #8
Title #01000.m2ts has length of 45 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01001.m2ts has length of 45 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00086.m2ts has length of 30 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00133.m2ts has length of 2 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00134.m2ts has length of 2 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00135.m2ts has length of 2 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00136.m2ts has length of 2 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 9 titles into directory /Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t00.mkv' at offset '2009463061'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t00.mkv
Forced subtitles track #3 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #5 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #7 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #9 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t02.mkv' at offset '1590830585'
Failed to save title 2 to file /Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t02.mkv
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t03.mkv' at offset '2883593895'
Failed to save title 3 to file /Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t03.mkv
Failed to save title 4 to file /Users/jjones/Raw/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon/How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_t04.mkv
1 titles saved, 8 failed
Here is what the error looks like from the log. I noticed the other thread regarding writing to a Samba share, which happens to be exactly what I'm doing.

I am running a second test right now using local storage instead of the Samba share.
funkho

Post by funkho »

Confirmed that I do NOT get the POSIX error when writing to local disk. Only when writing to the Samba Share.

So this oddity seems to have began some time after 1.7.4... Seems like between 1.7.4 and 1.7.10...
funkho

Post by funkho »

Another rip successful. Looks like the issue was definitely because I was writing to a Samba share.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is a well known problem. SMB client is broken on mac.
funkho

Post by funkho »

I'm willing to accept that as possible, but it seems odd that downgrading to an older version of MakeMKV makes the problem go away. Is there any explanation for that?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Yes, different write patterns. Buffering algorithm was changed. Older versions wrote more smaller chunks of data, newer versions do less writes but with bigger chunks of data. Apparently that causes the problem. Note that even old write pattern still produced corrupted files on SMB shares, occasionally.
Kalico

Post by Kalico »

I was not writing data to a Samba drive, but the internal one.

Below is what i just posted on a related thread about this same error message. Maybe it'll help you.
--
Hi All (newbie here and a general techie, not an expert),

This may or may not help you. I was getting the same errors, which made it look like the DVD could not be read. I'm on version 1.10.2 (October 2016).

My DVD drive is external to the PD (I'm running Ubuntu). It is USB powered.

I had the data USB plugged into a USB3 port (sometimes called SuperSpeed and marked SS - at least it is on my Dell server). Power coming from the USB2 port. I assumed that a USB3 port would be somehow more reliable or faster (even slightly, though the external DVD drive is USB2).

Anyway, I got loads of the "Posix Errors" and tried changing the data port to the USB2 one. I also removed the mouse from another USB3 port. Not sure if that made a difference or not, but it has now pulled the MKV file from the DVD with just perfectly.

Hope that helps someone.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

USB-powered drives have problems when MakeMKV pushes their speed. USB3 is the first spec to "guarantee" enough power to run a USB-powered optical disk, but, like USB2, you have to have fully-powered ports. If a hub doesn't have its own power supply, the power on a port is split between all devices plugged in, so if any device pulls too much, all suffer.

With USB2, "fully powered" ports were still marginal when the disk spun at its full speed. Some drives require you to plug into TWO ports, OR to a hub that has its own power supply.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Kalico

Post by Kalico »

That's interesting. So the issue may not have been that I switched the data connection from a USB3 to a USB2 port, but rather that I did the opposite for the power connector.

In any event, it has worked like a charm, when I was thinking it might be the Ubuntu, so to try it on Windoze.