Mac OS X - Yosemite Compatibility

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
chrisinboston

Mac OS X - Yosemite Compatibility

Post by chrisinboston »

First off, let me start by saying that I nor any of us should have any expectation that MakeMKV will work immediately with the new Mac OS. Especially seeing as OS - Yosemite is currently only released in beta.

The reason for my post is simply an inquiry. Does MakeMKV have a timeline as to when we might expect an update to be compatible with Yosemite? I would presume that it would not be until sometime after the full public version of Yosemite was available, but I just wanted to know whether or not an update would be expected.

If so, I would happily wait. If not, I'd look to restoring to Mavericks.

Thanks in advance for any info that might be made available.

Best,

Chris
ChrisJ60

Re: Mac OS X - Yosemite Compatibility

Post by ChrisJ60 »

I am also interested in this topic. I can state that MakeMKV does not even start (Application failed to initialise) under the current build of Yosemite (Developer Preview update 3) and that is fine. But I do rely heavily on makeMKV and at the same time I currently plan to update to Yosemite promptly when it is released so it would be useful to know the plans for MakeMKV on Yosemite to help me make an informed decision on my upgrade plans.

Thanks,

Chris
stevekennedyuk

Post by stevekennedyuk »

It might well be the the DASPI driver that isn't supported - which causes the app to not-initialise due to driver not loading
yosemite

Post by yosemite »

Problem also exists in the first public beta of 10.10 (build 14A299l). Removing daspi.kext from the extensions folder does not help.
microChasm

Post by microChasm »

Same error here, DASPI driver not installed.
glizi

Post by glizi »

Hi, is there any solution or workaround at the moment?
nwoolls

Post by nwoolls »

glizi wrote:Hi, is there any solution or workaround at the moment?
The console app makemkvcon still works fine, so you can still rip from the Terminal in OS X Yosemite. Open up Terminal.app and type:

Code: Select all

cd /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/
./makemkvcon info disc:1
./makemkvcon mkv disc:1 0 /Volumes/Media/Rips/
In the above, disc 1 refers to the 2nd disc drive in OS X (my first is a DVD drive). Also, the 0 in the final command is the Title to rip. This is determined from the output of the second command.

Note the above also assumes you moved MakeMKV to your Applications folder. Finally, the above assumes you are ripping to the folder Rips on the Media drive.
glizi

Post by glizi »

Thanks for this solution.
TJLuoma

Post by TJLuoma »

If you don't want to try to figure out the command-line settings for MakeMKV yourself, I highly recommend

"Batch Rip Actions for Automator"
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/242398/BatchRip ... -1.1.1.dmg

Once you set it up, you can ignore most of the options except "Batch Rip":

1. Set that and make sure "Batch Rip Dispatcher is on" (top right corner, click to toggle)

2. Make sure that "Use MakeMKV for DVD" is on (assuming that is what you want)

It will prompt you when you insert a DVD/BluRay, and ask if it is a movie or TV show, and then prompt for the name, and rip the appropriate files.

It also ejects when done, which I like because it tells me that it has finished.

(See screenshot below)

This works under Yosemite Public beta 1.

yosemite

Post by yosemite »

It looks like the GUI is working now, as of Yosemite Public Beta 3 (using MakeMKV v1.8.13).