Excessive RAM Use by MakeMKV or something else wrong?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
harpua26

Excessive RAM Use by MakeMKV or something else wrong?

Post by harpua26 »

Using an iMac 2.93 quad core i7 running 10.9.5 with 16gb of crucial memory

Bought a Pioneer BDR-XD05S connected through two USB ports.

When ripping blu ray discs from my collection using MakeMKV, by about 4-5 minutes of the rip, nearly all 16GB of memory are being used. Available RAM just ticks down like a clock.

Using Memory Clean or activity monitor, I cannot see where the memory is being used as activity monitor doesn't show anything about 1gb being used (but shows memory pressure as full green) however by the halfway point of a burn, even with NO other applications open, my system is out of memory and stalled without memory cleans which only give back about 200mgs which quickly drain again. Happens with Read Buffer set to 256 and 1024mb. I haven't changed any other settings.

Here is what I've tried:

1. Rebuilt permissions, zapped PRAM, etc.
2. Tried saving rip to a different drive - same result. Massive memory drain.
3. Ripped a conventional DVD using my internal Superdrive on MakeMKV and available RAM went from 12GB at the start of the rip to 7GB by the end (only stopped dropping because the rip finished.

Was about to return the Pioneer drive but it seems like a lot of RAM was being used to rip the standard DVD in my other drive.

Any ideas? Thanks.
harpua26

Re: Excessive RAM Use by MakeMKV or something else wrong?

Post by harpua26 »

An update: I just tried a rip using DVDFab and getting same memory drain - after 12 minutes, all 13gb of ram available at the start of the burn are used.

Could this be related to the two USB ports powering the Pioneer drive? A faulty Pioneer drive?
Woodstock

Re: Excessive RAM Use by MakeMKV or something else wrong?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will dynamically size its read buffers, but I've never seen it go that high. When you look at the tasks, how much RAM does OSX say MakeMKV is using?

If you want to find out if it's MakeMKV or something else (like OSX buffering the writes to the hard drive), under Preferences -> IO, you can set the read buffer size. The default is "Auto", but there are smaller choices. The less RAM you allocate, though, the more you're going to be dependent upon the operating system's write speed as you rip.

Edited to add: I missed the part in your earlier message about testing the buffer size limits. This is something out of MakeMKV's control, then, if you had it set to 256M.... When I had that on my system, the total RAM usage by MakeMKV never exceeded 500MB.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging