Failed to open disk

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
bkjeell

Failed to open disk

Post by bkjeell »

I very often get this error message when I try to load and copy a disk. It seems to happen about 50-75% of the time.

MakeMKV v1.9.1 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB TS00d" opened in OS access mode.
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading 'BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB TS00' at offset '655360'
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading 'BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB TS00' at offset '32768'
Failed to open disc

I am running on an iMac Core i7 with 16GB RAM.
with OS X Yosemite v. 10.10.2
My DVD Drive is aSamsung Blu-Ray DVD SE-506.

In this case is was a Blu-Ray movie with protection AACS v39, BD+ V2014.10

Additional error info from the screen:

Drive information:
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Product: BDDVDW SE-506BB
Revision: TS00
Serial number: R90K6YMDC00ENJ
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 47

Disc Information:
Label: Calvary
Timestamp: 2014-10-06 20:30:34
Data capacity: 40.32 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM
Number of layers: 2
Channel bit length: 74,5 nm (25.0 GB max. per layer)
Bus encryption flags: 80

The movies play fine using VLC and also copies fine using Wondershare Video Converter
Woodstock

Re: Failed to open disk

Post by Woodstock »

Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading 'BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506BB TS00' at offset '655360'
This error indicates that the BD went off-line during the read operation. Generally speaking, that means it drew too much power from the USB port, and reset itself.

Make sure that the port your are plugging into is POWERED. If you are using a hub, it must be separately powered, because not enough power will get through from the computer to the drive if it isn't.

Laptops on battery power can also have issues with powering a USB BD.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bkjeell

Post by bkjeell »

I have both plugs from the DVD connected to the iMac itself, so both should be fully powered.
And since it plays without any problems when using VLC, can the power really be the problem or is it something that MKV does not like?
Thanks for any advise.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Both plugs should do it; the iMac should provide a full 1 amp current using that setup, instead of .5 with the single plug.

The problem is that VLC will never spin the drive up to full speed; it doesn't have to. And MakeMKV usually won't spin it up to full speed during a scan of the disk, only during a rip.

But, for some reason, your drive is going off-line during the scan... The IPC error is coming from OS X, not MakeMKV. I have not seen any reports of that happening except because of power issues, but I don't spend a lot of time looking.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging