Ripping from network shared Blu-ray Drive

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
taylorwmj

Ripping from network shared Blu-ray Drive

Post by taylorwmj »

So I've been racking my head for about 2 months with this and can't figure it out:

I have a an Asustor AS5008T NAS that allows me to share USB connected devices across the network. I currently have my external LG Blu-ray drive connected to the Asustor. From my Mac's finder, I can very easily access the drive over the network. The key here is it doesn't appear as an optical drive, but rather as a directory.

This is where MakeMKV doesn't seem to want to play nice. I'm looking to simply open the folder and have MakeMKV create the MKV file but every single time it errors out when I select the BDMV package. FWIW, because Mac OS makes BDMV appear as a package, I can't open the index.bdmv in MakeMKV.

I have already placed the keydb.cfg file from http://www.labdv.com/aacs in the MakeMKV Data Directory which is set in preferences (both in that directory and then also tried in an aacs directory). Additionally, I have tried with the file in both forms of each key containing 0x and not containing it.

Every single time I receive and error telling me the volume key is unknown for this disc...and I have tried multiple blu rays contained within the keydb file.

Also, with the blu ray drive connected directly to my Mac, I can very easily rip discs. Granted, this occurs because MakeMKV is seeing it as an optical drive.

Does anyone know how I can make this work? I have attached my debug log.

001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.9.2 darwin(x86-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/taylor/MakeMKV_log.txt
005042:0000 The program can't find any usable optical drives.
003006:0000 Opening files on harddrive at /Volumes/OpticalDrive
003303:0000 The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at s5@l*F~/#rx03KN^:213131801
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at s5@l*F~/#rx03KN^:213133894
005010:0000 Failed to open disc
mike admin

Re: Ripping from network shared Blu-ray Drive

Post by mike admin »

Well, it means that your keyfile still missing the VUK for this particular disc. In this case MakeMKV requires "full" access to the drive. You have additional option only if you can compile and run applications on your NAS. MakeMKV includes a so-called "TIPS" protocol - a way to share and connect the optical drive over TCP/IP. MakeMKV has builtin TIPS client, and TIPS server source code is part of libdriveio which is part of MakeMKV linux source package. If you manage to compile and run TIPS server on your NAS, the drive will become visible in MakeMKV.