MakeMKV 1.6.3 Broke my drive???

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
avcollector

MakeMKV 1.6.3 Broke my drive???

Post by avcollector »

I installed MakeMKV 1.6.3 on my Yosemite Mac Pro before reading the forum posts. My drive is LG BD-RE BE14NU40, and highest AACS version: 50. I'm novice on this stuff, so I'm not sure what that means. But I inserted a brand new BluRay disc after that and it tried to mount it and failed. The "Disc is being loaded" message appeared with some repetitive spinning and noise then it ejected. I tried it in another computer with another drive running MakeMKV 1.6.2 and it worked. The disc is very new and was released in just the last few days.

Now I can't seem to get ANY disc to load in MakeMKV in the first drive. I even reinstalled 1.6.2 and that doesn't work either.

Is my drive ruined or will the next version of MakeMKV fix the problem?
Is there anything in the Library folder I need to do to revert back to the 1.6.2 version?
Should I look for a firmware upgrade?
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV 1.6.3 Broke my drive???

Post by Woodstock »

Version 1.6.3 is a number of years old. Did you mean 1.9.3?

What happens if you try ripping a DVD instead of a Bluray? Can you play a DVD in the drive using the built-in player in OS X?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
avcollector

Post by avcollector »

Yes, I'm sorry. I meant 1.9.2 and 1.9.3.

When I insert a DVD it does load, though I haven't actually tried ripping one. And I can play a DVD or rip it with another program which I usually use for DVDs. I only use MakeMKV for BluRay rips. But since installing 1.9.3 and trying to load a very new BluRay disc, I can't use it for BluRay discs anymore.
avcollector

Post by avcollector »

On the next day after reading your message, I turned on logging and restarted MakeMKV 1.9.3 (did not restart computer). Now it loads the same new disc that it previously refused to load. I've ripped a track from it and it seems to work now. I've also been able to load an older disc again. I turned off logging and it still works. But loading a disc still seems to take a lot longer and involve a lot more disc activity to get it ready to read.

For logging to make a difference doesn't make sense. Does MakeMKV download something that helps it know what to do with newly released protection schemes? Even if it does, that doesn't explain why it couldn't load an older disc, but now loads old and new.

In short, it seems to have fixed itself :?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have not seen any "extra" loading going on when debugging is turned on, but I always have it turned on. It saves time if I have an issue that needs to be reported, because I already have the information to report, without re-running the rip.

But, MakeMKV is limited by what the operating system lets it do. Sometimes, the OS can "forget" a drive exists, and you have to reset the computer to get it back. Sometimes it will get confused over signals, and not pass on to MakeMKV that a disk has changed... and simply stopping MakeMKV and restarting it is enough for Windows or OS X to say, "Hey, there's a drive here!"
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging