Corrupted BD Backup

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
TEG24601

Corrupted BD Backup

Post by TEG24601 »

I'm creating BD Backups on my Mac with MakeMKV, without decrypting them, then using Handbrake. It worked find, except that Handbrake seemed to corrupt the BDMV, taking the folder size from 35GB to 45GB. Requiring them to be deleted because VLC nor Handbrake could use the files again. However, starting Sunday night, the file MakeMKV is creating is now 45GB per disc, and unreadable by either of the two programs. I have disable TimeMachine and ClamXAV, thinking they may be the source of the problem.

I have cleared out the preferences for MakeMKV and Handbrake, and am running the latest versions of both pieces of software.

Any ideas?
Woodstock

Re: Corrupted BD Backup

Post by Woodstock »

If you are feeding the files to Handbrake, you need to decrypt them. Handbrake doesn't do that.

Also, be aware that converting the M2TS files to MKV files (opening instead of backing up) MAY fix up some video/audio timing issues that get past Handbrake when working directly with unencrypted M2TS files.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TEG24601

Post by TEG24601 »

Woodstock wrote:If you are feeding the files to Handbrake, you need to decrypt them. Handbrake doesn't do that.

Also, be aware that converting the M2TS files to MKV files (opening instead of backing up) MAY fix up some video/audio timing issues that get past Handbrake when working directly with unencrypted M2TS files.
Actually, it has never has an issue decrypting the files, thanks in large part to the same setup you use to get VLC to work on a Mac. So that isn't the issue. I have also never been able to convert them to MKV files, because, ever since I first installed MakeMKV it wanted me to register to get that feature, and it is a bit out of my price range.

The only real issue is the corruption of the backup, and I'm not sure if that is an OS issue or a MakeMKV issue, since it just appeared over the weekend, in the middle of a ripping session.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Part of the problem on OS X is that the name of one of the folders, BDMV, became reserved in some versions. Whether or not that's a factor here is difficult to say. The test is to change the folder's case... I don't remember if it's the upper-case version BDMV that's reserved, or the lower-case bdmv, but one gets OS X out of the way when dealing with BD backups.

As for the price - the handling of BD disks to MKV files is the same as doing it as a backup, covered by the same "30 day trial", which is renewed with each beta test key. Both involve the same functionality (decoding the encryption to access the data). So long as the beta continues, you CAN continue to use the BD capability for free.

Paying the money grants you one convenience - not having to change keys periodically.
TEG24601

Post by TEG24601 »

So I had the ability to use Handbrake for about a week, ending last Wednesday. I finally had time to mess with it yesterday, and reinstalled MakeMKV and Handbrake. Handbrake couldn't find valid titles due to it being unable to open the AACS Key files from MakeMKV. For the hell of it, I tried opening the disc using VLC, and it failed. Tried Handbrake again, and it was able to convert the MakeMKV backup without issue, so I'm even more confused, but at least I have found a way to make it work... maybe.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you use Open instead of Backup, you can create MKV files that work quite well as input to Handbrake. Backup preserves menus and things like Java "picture in picture" for players that understand that sort of thing, but, if Handbrake is your next step, going to MKV files is a bit faster.

Oh, and when MakeMKV is converting to MKV files, it can clean up some audio sync problems found on BD sources that Handbrake doesn't do so well on.