No subtitles with Handbrake

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
wallofbeans

No subtitles with Handbrake

Post by wallofbeans »

Hi All,

I've just backed up a disk with MakeMKV and it worked perfectly, playing back with VLC and including the optional subtitles file.

But I'd now like to make a smaller version of the file with Handbrake but when I open it doesn't show the subtitle file as an option. I'd also be happy to have the English subs burnt in but it doesn't give me that option either.

Any advice? What have I done wrong?

Thanks,
Woodstock

Re: No subtitles with Handbrake

Post by Woodstock »

A lot depends upon your version of handbrake, and what type of disk you've ripped.

Support for handbrake is over on forum.handbrake.fr, and you'll need the activity log from the encode attempt (there is instructions in a pink box with red letters on where the logs are kept). Make sure you're up to date - 0.10.2 is their current release version.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wallofbeans

Re: No subtitles with Handbrake

Post by wallofbeans »

Woodstock wrote:A lot depends upon your version of handbrake, and what type of disk you've ripped.

Support for handbrake is over on forum.handbrake.fr, and you'll need the activity log from the encode attempt (there is instructions in a pink box with red letters on where the logs are kept). Make sure you're up to date - 0.10.2 is their current release version.
Thanks for that! I didn't think my version of Handbrake would be out of date as I assumed it would be asking to update when a new version arrived... but I checked and it turns out I was using an old version. I've now updated and it now gives me the missing subtitles as an option. I'm trying it now but I think it'll work as hoped this time.

Thanks again!