Trouble with Godzilla 1954....

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
rdawsoniii

Trouble with Godzilla 1954....

Post by rdawsoniii »

Ok...I am very new with makemkv and I am stumped. I cannot for the life of me get the original Japanese 1954 Godzilla (not the edited US version) properly ripped and playable.

I did a "backup" with makemkv. I then used AVCHDcoder on the proper m2ts file. For audio, it gives me a choice of Japanese (the Japanese audio is listed as "0 channel") and English. If English is checked (with or without Japanese), the audio is the English commentary. If I only check Japanese, the program hangs and won't convert. Burned to blu ray successfully, but it had the English commentary which could not be turned off.

So......next time, I opened the index file in the backup to run it thru makemkv again. I only check the Japanese audio (and the subtitle boxes). Fine. The mkv file is now in Japanese as it should be, but no subtitles. I can't run it thru AVCHDcoder as it doesn't recognize the Japanese audio anymore (no audio options are given and the program won't let you proceed without an audio option).

Now I have an mkv file that is correctly in Japanese but no subtitles. I can't figure out how to burn this to play in a blu ray player. I am obviously missing something somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to get this onto a blu ray disk with the language intact and the English subtitles back.

I apologize if my explanation is difficult to follow.
Woodstock

Re: Trouble with Godzilla 1954....

Post by Woodstock »

What happens when you use "Open" (big button that looks like a disk), select the main title, and have MakeMKV make an MKV file directly?

You can select which audio/subtitle tracks to include by clicking on the triangle next to the main title, and enabling/disabling the tracks there.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rdawsoniii

Post by rdawsoniii »

Woodstock wrote:What happens when you use "Open" (big button that looks like a disk), select the main title, and have MakeMKV make an MKV file directly?

You can select which audio/subtitle tracks to include by clicking on the triangle next to the main title, and enabling/disabling the tracks there.
It will make the mkv file.....I select the Japanese audio option (and uncheck the English, as that is the commentary, which I don't want). I check the subtitles boxes also. When I play the mkv file, it is in Japanese as it should be, but no subtitles (which I want).

I also cannot figure out how to get this burned to a blu ray disk. I cannot run this particular mkv file thru AVCHDcoder, as no audio track shows up, and you can't "add the disk" in AVCHDcoder unless an audio track shows up. Not sure why that is...there is obviously a Japanese audio track.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have no experience with trying to re-master a BD, so I can't help much.

Only thing I can think of is that the disk uses different play lists for different languages. Even if the m2ts file has both languages, it the play list says to only show one track, some software will obey that restriction.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rdawsoniii

Post by rdawsoniii »

Woodstock wrote:I have no experience with trying to re-master a BD, so I can't help much.

Only thing I can think of is that the disk uses different play lists for different languages. Even if the m2ts file has both languages, it the play list says to only show one track, some software will obey that restriction.
Thanks anyway. I may try tsmuxer some time to see if that will solve the problem, but it looks complicated. I'm wondering if it is due to the fact the Japanese audio is id notified as "0 channel", instead of something like "2 channel".

I will be tackling "The Searchers" hopefully this week. I don't anticipate any problems since the "native" language is English and not a foreign one.
rdawsoniii

Post by rdawsoniii »

Well....after trying several different programs (avchdcoder, bdtoavchd and a couple of others) and making a couple of coasters....it was good old tsmuxer that finally worked. I'm not sure why other programs either would not recognize the Japanese audio or would not "transfer" the subtitle (even though I would leave it intact).

I was concerned tsmuxer would be complicated but it isn't. I hate being "defeated" when trying something like this so I'm glad I got it all worked out. :D