www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 am 

I've created mkv files from dvd and all good except when I play on my Samsung TV it defaults to playing with subtitles on. I can manually turn off subtitles in the samsung media player however it is really annoying to have to do this each time. Is there a way to either turn off as the default or remove the subtitles from the file completely without having to remake the mkv's from scratch?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:05 pm 

Yes, there is a way. And No, it doesn't work most of the time.

Short of removing (or not ripping) the subtitle tracks, you're at the mercy of the player as to what happens with them. Most players I've tried default to playing the first subtitle track found, whether it is marked as "default" or not.

An example is if you process a file through handbrake to make it an MP4, remove all subtitles, BUT have handbrake insert chapter markers, "smart" TVs will display "Chapter 1" as a subtitle at the beginning of playback, and "Chapter NN" each time a chapter changes, because MP4 chapters are stored as a "special" subtitle track.

Post-rip processing the file will be required if you want to make sure subtitles are "properly" displayed, always. I don't have time to go into the variations on subtitle authoring here, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:14 am 

Thanks for replying had hoped there might be a way of adding some kind of ini file to instruct the player not to show subtitles however sounds like that isn't possible.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:10 pm 

Unfortunately, with JUST MakeMKV, it can't be done. If players actually used the "default" flag, it would be a different story.

I've even thought about putting together a text-based, EMPTY subtitle track I could merge into files as the "first" subtitle track, to get around it. But I haven't done that yet, since I can tell handbrake to lose the chapter track when making MP4s, and to create an empty "forced track" when creating MKVs.