How to remove any and all subtitles??

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
HiTechObsessed

How to remove any and all subtitles??

Post by HiTechObsessed »

Sorry if this has already been answered - I'm sure it has - but I have been searching and the only things I can find about subtitles is how to get them in, or to add them in some way in general. I don't want any subtitles at all whatsoever, don't even need an option for it. Is there a way to completely remove subtitles from being ripped to the mkv file?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: to add a little clarification, I ripped a DVD and it has the English subtitles on, and I don't see any where to turn off the subtitles.
Woodstock

Re: How to remove any and all subtitles??

Post by Woodstock »

You can also click on the little triangle next to a title in the left-hand column of the selection screen, and see, select or de-select the individual tracks within a title. Just be aware that if you do not include ANY subtitle tracks, you will likely have nothing on the screen when someone speaks in a language other than the dub (it happens - the first few scenes inside Red October in The Hunt For Red October are subtitled Russian, included in the primary subtitle track).

If you enable Expert Mode (Preferences->General), a lot of things become available - including the ability to set default selection rules, or create profiles that exclude subtitles.

But what you're experiencing is really a play-back issue; SOME players let you disable subtitles by default. But MOST play whatever the first subtitle track is, until/unless you disable it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
HiTechObsessed

Post by HiTechObsessed »

Man, I feel so stupid... Thank you for not being the typical forum poster and scream noob, I appreciate it. That did exactly what I needed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There is nothing in your post that screams noob, and nothing in the fix that is "blatantly obvious", so no worries.

It's actually become common to use "context menus" (things that only appear when you use a right-click of the mouse when it is in a certain area) in programs. MakeMKV has a few of those that aren't mentioned anywhere. So treating programs like adventure games (find the hidden things that make it possible to complete the task) is an important skill. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging