Audio track names

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
RA-Bowtie

Audio track names

Post by RA-Bowtie »

G'day all,

I'm kind of new the whole Plex and MKV thing, but I'm getting there.

I've ripped a couple of Blu-ray movies using MakeMKV. I stream them from a NAS
(running Plex Media Server), to a Samsung Blu-ray player (which has the Plex app)
and then to my TV.

It all works fine and I'm really happy with it, except for one thing..... audio track names.

I ripped a movie called The Huntsman and when I view it on my TV, I have the following audio options;

English DCA 8
English DCA 6
English DCA 2

Is it possible (somehow) to display more intuitive names, DTS, Dolby, etc.

I've done a bit of homework on this and I tried to rename the audio tracks using MKV Toolnix. If I use
VLC Media player (on my computer), it does display the correct audio names, but it doesn't change them (or I should say, display them) on the Plex client. I don't really want to start ripping a lot of Blu-rays and then find there's an easy way to do this.

Any help would really appreciated.

Michael
Woodstock

Re: Audio track names

Post by Woodstock »

Start by going to Preferences->General, and make sure "Expert mode" is checked.

Now, after you load a disk, on the left side you will see the titles listed. Next to each is a little triangle. Click it. Find the audio track in question. Click on it.

Notice on the RIGHT side, there is a "Properties" box. When it says "Name", you can change the name of the track. But, you can also "pull down" on the button to reveal other information you can change.

If you don't do any of this, MakeMKV is going to use the names and other properties found on the disk itself. For example, the one audio track on the Castle DVDs has a name of "Surround 5.1" by default.

Now, whether or not your TV or other playback device will DISPLAY more descriptive names... That is a separate issue.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

Woodstock wrote:Start by going to Preferences->General, and make sure "Expert mode" is checked.

Now, after you load a disk, on the left side you will see the titles listed. Next to each is a little triangle. Click it. Find the audio track in question. Click on it.

Notice on the RIGHT side, there is a "Properties" box. When it says "Name", you can change the name of the track. But, you can also "pull down" on the button to reveal other information you can change.

If you don't do any of this, MakeMKV is going to use the names and other properties found on the disk itself. For example, the one audio track on the Castle DVDs has a name of "Surround 5.1" by default.

Now, whether or not your TV or other playback device will DISPLAY more descriptive names... That is a separate issue.
Thanks for all the info. I honestly didn't know about the advanced settings and that does make life a lot easier.

Only problem is that the Plex client still displays the same audio options as before.

I'll try to get an answer over on the Plex forums.

Just one question;

Next to the name field (on the right) there's an option for profiles... could you explain that please.

Michael
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, Profiles....

You can construct XML files that control how MakeMKV selects and transfers information. There is an "Advanced" section of this forum that you should read through if you want to play with those.

Several examples are included with MakeMKV, "Default" (which is the one it uses when you don't know any better), "FLAC" (which converts some audio tracks so they care more compatible with other hardware), and "WDTV" (which compresses the PGS subtitles found on Bluray so that the Western Digital TV box can use them). You can put your own in the MakeMKV data folder, and they will be available from that pull-down.

Profiles can give priority to certain languages, amongst other things. It is more capable than the default "preferred language" selection in Preferences, because you can have more than one language at a time.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RA-Bowtie

Post by RA-Bowtie »

Woodstock wrote:Ah, Profiles....

You can construct XML files that control how MakeMKV selects and transfers information. There is an "Advanced" section of this forum that you should read through if you want to play with those.

Several examples are included with MakeMKV, "Default" (which is the one it uses when you don't know any better), "FLAC" (which converts some audio tracks so they care more compatible with other hardware), and "WDTV" (which compresses the PGS subtitles found on Bluray so that the Western Digital TV box can use them). You can put your own in the MakeMKV data folder, and they will be available from that pull-down.

Profiles can give priority to certain languages, amongst other things. It is more capable than the default "preferred language" selection in Preferences, because you can have more than one language at a time.
That's starting to make sense.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Michael