Can't get DolbyTrue HD / Atmos to play on Sony BDP-S6500

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jimmyaz

Can't get DolbyTrue HD / Atmos to play on Sony BDP-S6500

Post by jimmyaz »

Hey guys,

I recently just got a Sony BDP-S6500 bluray player, I did have to spend a bit of time researching on how to set the Audio setting before it was able to play Bluray Dolby Atmos to my Denon X6200.

So DolbyAtmos/DTSX is working when I am playing from a Bluray disc. However, today I tried to rip my movie to MKV file using MakeMKV, I did selected the Dolby True HD, but upon play back the MKV using the player as a media player, it would not play the audio it said "Audio Format not compatible"

I am confused as of why it would play Dolby TrueHD/Atmos fine via the bluray, but after being rip to MKV it can not.

When I uses MakeMKV, it said the track I selected is TrueHD Surround 7.1 English. Also, I have tried recently tried a few movies with DTS HD and it seem to play that just fine... just not Dolby True HD or Dolby Atmos....

Already tried to copy it to a USB stick and play it, same thing. So I don't think it's my media server.

What am I doing wrong?
Woodstock

Re: Can't get DolbyTrue HD / Atmos to play on Sony BDP-S6500

Post by Woodstock »

One test would be to do a Backup of the disk, and see if it will play the "virtual disk" the same as from the physical disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jimmyaz

Post by jimmyaz »

Woodstock wrote:One test would be to do a Backup of the disk, and see if it will play the "virtual disk" the same as from the physical disk.
I'm pretty dumb at this. Did you mean to rip the disc with ISO and put it into a folder and try to use the player to play it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For a Bluray, there is a button that looks like an arrow pointed at a folder that will light up when you have a disk loaded. If you click it (rather than the BIG button with the sometimes-spinning disk on it), you will be asked where to copy the contents of the BD to. Make sure you select the option to decrypt the video.

What this does is copies the file structure of the BD to a directory on your disk, removing the copy protection. Applications and players that "understand" Bluray will usually treat it exactly like you had the disk in the drive, including offering you menus and setup options. All of the audio options should be available; you are dealing with the same m2ts files as the BD player would see on the disk, rather than MKV files.

There has been some conversation on the board about Atmos tracks. Like I mentioned in another topic, I ignore them because it is not applicable to anything I do.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jimmyaz

Post by jimmyaz »

Woodstock wrote:For a Bluray, there is a button that looks like an arrow pointed at a folder that will light up when you have a disk loaded. If you click it (rather than the BIG button with the sometimes-spinning disk on it), you will be asked where to copy the contents of the BD to. Make sure you select the option to decrypt the video.

What this does is copies the file structure of the BD to a directory on your disk, removing the copy protection. Applications and players that "understand" Bluray will usually treat it exactly like you had the disk in the drive, including offering you menus and setup options. All of the audio options should be available; you are dealing with the same m2ts files as the BD player would see on the disk, rather than MKV files.

There has been some conversation on the board about Atmos tracks. Like I mentioned in another topic, I ignore them because it is not applicable to anything I do.
Thank you for your help. So I backup the bluray into the media server and play it from the Sony Player (folder/stream) and voila, it work, DolbyAtmos is working. So what's the issue? so this is some type of codec issue when makemkv is making the mkv file? or maybe the Sony player can't play mkv with dolbytrue hd?

The next question is... can I just keep only the video file and nothing else, would it still play?