more than one large .mkv file

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
zumosol

more than one large .mkv file

Post by zumosol »

Hello :)

maybe it's a stupid question, but I just ripped Terminator 2, Judgement day, and ended up with several large .mkv files.

1 is 19.3 Gb 1920x1080 23.976 fps 48khz, 1536kbps; ac3 5.1; playing time 2:17:20
2 is 23 Gb 1920x1080 23.976 fps 48khz, 1536kbps; ac3 5.1; playing time 2:36:08
3 is 25 Gb 1920x1080 23.976 fps 48khz, 1536kbps; ac3 5.1; playing time 2:33:26

all 3 are complete movies, or are they?... no differences as far as I can see in language or subs.
so.. the funny part is the largest file is not the longest.
different versions? or cuts?.

Nothing about different versions printed on the cover..

I tried to start all 3 copies in sync, to find out where the differences are..but... think I need a faster PC :?

I have seen it several times before with other movies, sometimes it is two versions, but with different languages and subs, other times like Terminator 2..

Anyone know why? or is it just different versions, like directors cut/ theatrical versions, or ?

Thanx for any answer
Woodstock

Re: more than one large .mkv file

Post by Woodstock »

There are often more than one version on a disk, constructed out of multiple files. When it is two or three, you are probably looking at a "theatrical release" version, with a "director's cut", and possibly an "extended cut". In fact, quoting an Amazon review:
One disk is the movie (THREE versions of the movie, in fact) ...

One is the original theatrical version, featuring no cut out scenes (the worst), the special edition, featuring 16 minutes of additional footage (second best) and the Extended Special Edition that you need a code for (the best) which features 18 minutes of additional footage, as well as an alternate ending.
I'm guessing the extended special edition is the 2:36 version, and you won't need that special code if you rip it. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
zumosol

Post by zumosol »

Woodstock wrote:There are often more than one version on a disk, constructed out of multiple files. When it is two or three, you are probably looking at a "theatrical release" version, with a "director's cut", and possibly an "extended cut". In fact, quoting an Amazon review:
One disk is the movie (THREE versions of the movie, in fact) ...

One is the original theatrical version, featuring no cut out scenes (the worst), the special edition, featuring 16 minutes of additional footage (second best) and the Extended Special Edition that you need a code for (the best) which features 18 minutes of additional footage, as well as an alternate ending.
I'm guessing the extended special edition is the 2:36 version, and you won't need that special code if you rip it. :)

yes.. and if I had looked carefully enough on the backside of the cover...
It's a 4 disc box-version with the first 4 Terminator movies, so the tekst is soo small you hardly can read it, or maybe I just need new lenses... :oops: sorry..

you are absolutely right, there are 3 versions on the disc

version one is the Theatrical version running time 2:16 aprox.
version two is the Special Edition running time 2:33 aprox.
version three is the Extended Special version running time 2:36 aprox.

:)
Aast656

Post by Aast656 »

For these Blurays you can use the Xin1generator program to create just one mkv file with the different editions of the movie. For example I have in this way a file with the different editions of Avatar movie, or a file of a Pixar movie including some texts of the movie both in English and Spanish (multiangle Blurays)

https://code.google.com/archive/p/xin1generator/

Maybe it could be an interesting feature to be included in Make km, since the previous program is only valid for Blurays, and not for DVDs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Not sure it would be useful... because MakeMKV already creates single MKV files from seamless-branching play lists.
Xin1Generator is an application that simplifies generating Matroska files from seamlessly branched Blu-ray and HD DVD titles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Aast656

Post by Aast656 »

Woodstock wrote:Not sure it would be useful... because MakeMKV already creates single MKV files from seamless-branching play lists.
As far as I know, with MakeMKV it is possible to create a single MKV for each different version (theatrical, extended, etc.) included in a seamlessly branched Bluray. So, it you have to have two (or more editions) of the movie, you have to generate two (or more) mkv files (If I'm wrong please informe me!)

However, with Xin1Generation it is possible to have all different editions of the Bluray in just one MKV file, adding for each different edition only the "new" segments of that edition, and not the entire movie. It is better explaned in the Doom9's Forum for that program:
If you have a Bluray with multiple editions on one disc (such as Avatar, with the Theatrical, Special Edition, and Director's Cut), it will help you create a single mkv file with all versions of the movie - and allow you to select and play any version, just as you would with the disc. The total file size will usually be slightly larger than the longest version of the movie, and much smaller than ripping each version separately. There's no limit on the number of editions, so you can keep as many as you like.

It uses eac3to to demux the streams, generate a Matroska ordered chapter file, a Matroska tag file, and even generates a file with a list of frames that need to be encoded as I-Frames if re-encoding. Once it has finished demuxing, you use a Matroska muxer (such as MKVMerge or Haali's GDSMux) to create the mkv and add the chapters and tag files.