*UPDATED* 4K UHD DV backup playback

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
spl147

*UPDATED* 4K UHD DV backup playback

Post by spl147 »

I found this player: http://www.bd-mod.com

Discussion: https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-ul ... e.2207229/

it is basically a Oppo UDP-203 without the optical drive, it runs the Oppo jailbroke firmware.

i will report findings after it arrives!
Last edited by spl147 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spl147

Re: 4K UHD DV backup playback

Post by spl147 »

UPDATE

Player has arrived.

it is running the Oppo UDP-203 Jailbreak firmware version 60 (seller said version 65 is coming soon)

I have played a mix of mkv's 4K and 1080P, with and without Atmos/DTSX, 0 i repeat 0 framerate issues, 1 audio issue (See Below). picture quality puts all other players i have tested to shame! (DuneHD 4K Pro, Zidoo Z9S, nVidia ShieldTV/Kodi 18.1) now onto the real question, DOLBY VISION! YES it plays it perfectly! i have played Full Dolby Vision Ripped Discs, Movie only rips made with CloneBD, it plays them flawlessly, with Atmos/DTSX. it even knows to play the forced subtitles only, from a full subtitle track.

BDMV Folder = Atmos/DTSX YES
BDMV Iso = Atmos/DTSX Yes
Mkv = Atmos/TrueHD | Bitstream=NO | Auto=Yes
Mkv = DTSX/DTSHD | Bitstream=Yes

Leaving the player set to Auto Plays Atmos for everything but MKV as it plays as LPCM

it seams the MKV Atmos/TrueHD issue goes way back with Oppo!

All playback is done via NFS Share over Gigabit network.

Plays Protected Backups Perfectly! (Tested With my protected backup of Fury UHD)

i have searched for a long long time for a player that can do it all, this is about as close as i have come. the interface is lacking in terms of a media player, simple file browser. although i am working on integrating my database with control4, and the developer of the control4 driver for the oppo is looking into adding AV transport service, so movies can be played back directly from the control4 interface.

here are some pics:
Last edited by spl147 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.
planet1

To list or not to list

Post by planet1 »

Hello spl147,

as you may remember finding answers to that kind of questions was the original intend of my playback post half a year ago.

Have you got any other devices to add apart from this new "weird box" from the far east?
spl147

Re: To list or not to list

Post by spl147 »

planet1 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:20 pm
Hello spl147,

as you may remember finding answers to that kind of questions was the original intend of my playback post half a year ago.

Have you got any other devices to add apart from this new "weird box" from the far east?
added a reply to your thread
Hi-Res

Re: *UPDATED* 4K UHD DV backup playback

Post by Hi-Res »

Thanks for making this post @spl147. I have been looking around for such a player. And I'm currently reading about the Dolby Vision playback on AVS appreciate the link. I hope this player isn't doing what the Sony UBP-x700 posted on the "Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux" thread. Were the Sony UBP-x700 was taking the file and then takes the static HDR10-layer metadata and repackages that as DV. I'm looking for complete native playback no repackaging. I wish this had some RCA cables for SACD playback. I know I can get that through the HDMI but can't have it all. I don't think it is SPIDF(3). The other player I was looking at was the Dune HD Ultra 4K but that didn't have Dolby Vision playback.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Hi-Res wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:08 am
Thanks for making this post @spl147. I have been looking around for such a player. And I'm currently reading about the Dolby Vision playback on AVS appreciate the link. I hope this player isn't doing what the Sony UBP-x700 posted on the "Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux" thread. Were the Sony UBP-x700 was taking the file and then takes the static HDR10-layer metadata and repackages that as DV. I'm looking for complete native playback no repackaging. I wish this had some RCA cables for SACD playback. I know I can get that through the HDMI but can't have it all. I don't think it is SPIDF(3). The other player I was looking at was the Dune HD Ultra 4K but that didn't have Dolby Vision playback.
i cannot comment on the true DV vs repackaged DV, not sure how to test this!

i play SACD through HDMI to reciever then rca out of reciever to amps

i can tell you the dune player has framerate issues! thats why i abandoned it myself!
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

spl147 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 am
what does the audio settings screen look like?
if there's a dolby vision option for either on or auto, setting it to auto yet still getting dv from rips should mean it's true dv without any forcing.
at least that's how the x700 is, maybe there's a similar option?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Grencola wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 pm
spl147 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 am
what does the audio settings screen look like?
if there's a dolby vision option for either on or auto, setting it to auto yet still getting dv from rips should mean it's true dv without any forcing.
at least that's how the x700 is, maybe there's a similar option?
planet1

A player without an optical drive, is like a car without wheels.

Post by planet1 »

Nice looking TV you've got there spl147, is that a VIZIO P-Series 55 inch model?

Although you use a soundbar, do you care about SACD ISO support and would you like to test it on your "wonder box from the far east"?
spl147

Re: A player without an optical drive, is like a car without wheels.

Post by spl147 »

planet1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Nice looking TV you've got there spl147, is that a VIZIO P-Series 55 inch model?

Although you use a soundbar, do you care about SACD ISO support and would you like to test it on your "wonder box from the far east"?
Thank you sir! Vizio P-Series 65

SACD Iso's Work Perfectly Fine!

anything in particular you want me to Test?
planet1

Re: A player without an optical drive, is like a car without wheels.

Post by planet1 »

spl147 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:17 pm
Ohh, so you have already tested this - NICE!
Does it also offer DSD output via HDMI?
spl147 wrote:
Featurewise no, but if this Oppo-clone does support remote telnet connections we could find out what Linux kernel runs on and what Mediatek SoC powers this device.

Last but not least I would like to add it onto my list - I think vendor name, FW version & subtitle support are the missing pieces of information.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

planet1 wrote:
spl147 wrote:
Ohh, so you have already tested this - NICE!
Does it also offer DSD output via HDMI?
spl147 wrote:
Featurewise no, but if this Oppo-clone does support remote telnet connections we could find out what Linux kernel runs on and what Mediatek SoC powers this device.

Last but not least I would like to add it onto my list - I think vendor name, FW version & subtitle support are the missing pieces of information.
DSD Out over HDMI -Yes
I will test telnet
Vendor name - M9702v2 i guess
Subtitle support - Yes Even forced within a full subtitle track Automatically
Firmware Version 60-0625

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

spl147 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Awesome, that's exactly what I hoped you had it set to. That should be as real as Dolby Vision gets without forcing all hdr to fake dv. good stuff :)
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Playback without frame rate issues is sooooo nice!

DV is my new favorite format

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
Lee2381

Post by Lee2381 »

Hi,
This is the box I’ve been looking for a LONG time.... Following your post I took the plunge and purchased one, Ive had it a few days now and have to say its Brilliant. Image quality is excellent (Dolby Vision is stunning) and no issues with audio either ....
Thanks for the heads up on this one, its a fantastic find....