Playback Issue with MakeMKV Rips

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
JishanF

Playback Issue with MakeMKV Rips

Post by JishanF »

I am encountering a strange issue with some of the MKV files generated by MakeMKV. For some of the Blu-rays that I have ripped (Pacific Rim, Interstellar, Edge of Tomorrow, Battle: Los Angeles), the file plays back fine on the PC but when playing via Plex at original quality on a local player (Nvidia Shield TV), it's as if the video signal is interrupted. The attached image demonstrates the problem. I have ripped dozens if not hundreds of discs using MakeMKV and this is the first time I have encountered this playback problem. The audio continues to play just fine, it is only the video that is interrupted. I haven't been able to find a solution looking through the forums and I am hoping someone here can assist.

I have debug logging enabled and can re-rip the disc if the log is required. I am only ripping the main title w/ the DTS-HD or DTS-MA audio and English subtitles. No converting is done in Handbrake and the files are played back over a wired gigabit network. I am seeing the same issue on two different Shield devices with the 2nd playing back over Wi-Fi.
pheloniousmonk

Re: Playback Issue with MakeMKV Rips

Post by pheloniousmonk »

I am sure you are excitedly checking this post after receiving a notification. Unfortunately, I have no solution.

I have the exact same issue with recent rips of Lego Batman The Movie and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I. No errors or dumps in the .MakeMKV folder.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Are you seeing high CPU usage on Plex? Both pictures are consistent with the player or Plex not being able to keep up with the video bandwidth.

Plex will try to recode the video if the client profile says to do so. Depending on your hardware, it may not be able to do that in real time at full size.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pheloniousmonk

Post by pheloniousmonk »

Computing power doesn't appear to be the issue. It is happening on my PC and Nvidia shield. It also only happens on two movies, recently ripped with MakeMKV.

Any other suggestions?
mrblobby

Post by mrblobby »

Anyone still experiencing this problem?

A Couple of weeks ago I backed up my blu-ray copy of Inferno (even though the film is tripe!) and experienced very similar banding distortion using plex on my android tv and also on my Nvidia Shield - I thought the issue was with the Plex media player for android rather than MakeMKV but then I tried playing it back with VLC on my PC and the same distortion occurred leading me to believe it is some issue with MakeMKV (which I hate to blame as I love it !)

The distortion occurred during a couple of fast moving chase scenes near the start which led me to think it was a bandwidth issue but obviously not as VLC is also showing the same.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

IIRC this was due to some copy protection scheme not being broken entirely by MakeMKV.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
mrblobby

Post by mrblobby »

Thanks, I wonder if there is still an issue then. I only ripped it a couple of weeks ago with the latest version. I will have to give it another go.
jwayashe

Post by jwayashe »

Have you been able to resolve this issue. I have the same problem with two recent BD rips. I have never seen this before, yet I have copied many discs (BD and DVD).
mrblobby

Post by mrblobby »

No, I re-did the disc but same issue - either the original disc was damaged or there is an encryption issue. I've not had it on any other discs since though.