Questions: MPEG-2 and H.262? Profiles? PCM?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Hario

Questions: MPEG-2 and H.262? Profiles? PCM?

Post by Hario »

Hi

i, as a newbie, have a few questions:

1. after making some MKV from a few DVDs and BDs, i've noticed that the DVD MKVs are in MPEG-2 (media info when clicking the i in the bottom right corner, or "mpeg2video" in the video settings), while the DVDs are in h262. BD-MKVs are showing me H.264 (media info, h264 in video settings). My questions to this are: why? is there a difference qualitywise? is it possible to change it from MPEG-2 to H.262?

2. what differences does it make to use "FLAC" instead of "Default" as a profile? I mean, i've already noticed that "Default" uses Dolby, PCM or whatever is used on the disc, but what are the differences in terms of compatibility and features?

3. I haven't noticed any problems with the audio of movies yet (using Kodi and VLC), but with music videos (PCM/LPCM, tested with only one DVD yet) i have the following problem (Kodi & VLC): makeMKV converts the DVD first in a big .mkv file with all songs and then multiple .mkv-files, one for each song. The big file doesn't have any problems at all, while the single files have problems with the audio (especially the instruments, while voices seem to be normal). Using "FLAC" instead of "Default" as a profile doesn't make any difference. Any ideas why? (i ask because the sticky is already a few years old)