MKV Corrupt File Fix?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
JCNIV

MKV Corrupt File Fix?

Post by JCNIV »

Hi there,

My MKV ripped files had been working for a couple years and then all of a sudden they all stopped working last month. When I open the folder(s) with the files on my external my computer crashes. I think the files may be corrupted but it seems to occur with old files that previously worked. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on here or if the files are corrupted then is there a fix? Im working with Windows if that makes a difference.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

James
Woodstock

Re: MKV Corrupt File Fix?

Post by Woodstock »

It may also be the program that is accessing them has a problem - the MKV files should not have changed. Opening the folder and having a crash is USUALLY because the "helper" program Explorer uses to dig out information about files is crashing. More information would normally be available in the Windows Event Viewer.

Do you have MKVTOOLNIX installed, that you can look at the MKV files with, say, mkvinfo?

I have heard about the "Creator update" for Win10 blowing up other programs, but I have not heard anything about it crashing just by reading a video file...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
JCNIV

Re: MKV Corrupt File Fix?

Post by JCNIV »

it was the Creator Update that was well out of date. Many thanks.