How do you handle mixed interlacing?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
axymeus

How do you handle mixed interlacing?

Post by axymeus »

Hey, I don't really know how to phrase that question, sorry if the title souds weird... Many of my DVDs present a combination of progressive and interlaced frames in their content. Most of the movie will look progressive (no combing), and then one scene is interlaced; sometimes it's only the transitions between scenes that are. I really don't understand how it can even be, but hey... Running ffmpeg idet determines that the source is progressive (mostly). Here's an example in MacGyver, season 2 episode 20 :

I suppose this may be due to the fact that my DVDs are all PAL, but I don't know if I should deinterlace those videos. The vertical resolution would be divided in half if I do, all for the benefit of a few minutes in the whole season. So, how do you handle that, if you have ever encountered this case?
Woodstock

Re: How do you handle mixed interlacing?

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake, filter decomb=BOB.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
axymeus

Post by axymeus »

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the bob filter works like yadif mode 1 (one frame for each field)? I think it does, and so effectively divides the vertical resolution by 2, but preserves smooth motion.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I think that's what the handbrake people said.

I've been finding that it works better for my DVD sources than "default".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging