how to create one coherent MKV-file ?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
maxsteinfeld

how to create one coherent MKV-file ?

Post by maxsteinfeld »

Hi
I already ripped some BluRays using AnyDVD.
now I have tested MakeMKV to create MKV Files using *.bdmv -file
my question: is it possible to create one coherent MKV-file ?
thx for an info
Bernd (Germany)
bigdad

Re: how to create one coherent MKV-file ?

Post by bigdad »

Ripping BDs results in 100plus GB output

Ripping some BDs (Titans, Wall-E) results in 100plus GB output which takes 3-8 hours.
The main film (~20 GB) exists 4 - 6 times with slightly different size.
Viewing the videos shows no difference.
How to select and create just one video title, the main one, and avoid all the other rubbish?
Regards

BigDad
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

maxsteinfeld wrote:Hi
thx for an info
Bernd (Germany)
I honestly can't understand your question. Can you please explain?
Bornung

Post by Bornung »

mike admin wrote:
maxsteinfeld wrote:Hi
thx for an info
Bernd (Germany)
I honestly can't understand your question. Can you please explain?

what does coherent mean? Tried to read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@maxsteinfeld

Hi!
is it possible to create one coherent MKV-file ?
No, not unless the original Blu-ray disc was comprised of only one title - and that's never the case (There's always the main movie as one title, the main menu as another title, "Extras" as one or more other titles, etc.)...

MorkFromOrk

Post by MorkFromOrk »

bigdad wrote:Ripping BDs results in 100plus GB output

Ripping some BDs (Titans, Wall-E) results in 100plus GB output which takes 3-8 hours.
The main film (~20 GB) exists 4 - 6 times with slightly different size.
Viewing the videos shows no difference.
How to select and create just one video title, the main one, and avoid all the other rubbish?
-----------------------------------------------

I'm just getting started with Blu-Ray media and MakeMKV, but one of my first test conversions was with Clash of the Titans, mentioned above. Again, I'm just starting to experiment with all of this - (have just been plugging the disks into a PS3):

I used AnyDVD HD to rip the disk to my drive. I ran MakeMKV and chose the second "title" of Titans and clicked the "Make MKV" button. The entire ripping, MKV process took about 1.5 hours and I ended up with a gorgeous 18GB file with full HD audio.

I know that the mention of AnyDVD HD is not helpful in this forum, but as a n00b I didn't know that it's not required with MakeMKV. My next test will be to shut down AnyDVD and use MakeMKV to process a Blu-ray directly from disk. Didn't I read somewhere that you can tell it to remove all the annoying stuff.
skittle

Post by skittle »

^thats the whole point of makemkv ;) And yes, Anydvd is not needed nor is it recommended.
davecotter

Post by davecotter »

i have the same question. when i load up "Avatar Special Edition" bluray, i see like 20 titles of varying lengths. am i supposed to rip them all? the two biggest ones are probably the movie, but which one? will i get the "extended" version? the longer one is longer by only a small amount, doesn't seem like "45 mintues" of extra footage?
Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

davecotter wrote:i have the same question. when i load up "Avatar Special Edition" bluray, i see like 20 titles of varying lengths. am i supposed to rip them all? the two biggest ones are probably the movie, but which one? will i get the "extended" version? the longer one is longer by only a small amount, doesn't seem like "45 mintues" of extra footage?
The multiple movie streams are sort of virtual on the disc, they include alternate scenes in the movie or sections which may have foreign language graphics on screen and so forth.

The collectors edition of Avatar only includes 16 extra minutes of footage, their is the special edition cut and then the original release. The 45mins thing is all the deleted scenes and cut footage that was never processed to final film quality & those items are not part of the movie they have to be played separately.