Best compression while maintaining quality

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
dace99

Best compression while maintaining quality

Post by dace99 »

I was just curious what programs (Handbrake, VidEncoder, etc) and settings MakeMKV users are using to compress MKV files. I'm especially interested in learning what compression settings people are using for 1080p Blu-ray conversions. I'm OK with sacrificing some quality to save 20GB of disk space, but what are some recommendations that would allow me to maintain high video quality and achieve a reasonable file size?
dcoke22

Re: Best compression while maintaining quality

Post by dcoke22 »

Lately, I've been using Don Melton's Other Video Transcoding to turn 1080p blu-rays into 10-bit HEVCs.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Unlike my older Video Transcoding project, the other-transcode tool in this package automatically selects a platform-specific hardware video encoder rather than relying on a slower software encoder.
Did something change with hardware encoding? Because otherwise it will be worse than software encoded I think. Faster, but worse quality.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:45 pm
Unlike my older Video Transcoding project, the other-transcode tool in this package automatically selects a platform-specific hardware video encoder rather than relying on a slower software encoder.
Did something change with hardware encoding? Because otherwise it will be worse than software encoded I think. Faster, but worse quality.
Yeah Nvidia's hardware encoder from Turing or RTX 20xx series
Has improved quality to be on par with CPU encoding compared to older hardware encoders.
https://youtu.be/ccoOGfX9qxg
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
wmcclain

Post by wmcclain »

It is important to run your own experiments, test different parameters to see what differences you can detect.

Also be aware that changes that are not visible on one display may become more so on a different one.

That said, this is what I use with command-line Handbrake:

For Blu-ray, --preset="Very Fast 1080p30" -q 20

For DVD, --preset="Fast 1080p30" -q 18

Lower "q" is higher quality and DVD needs more help.

My current LG OLED is more sensitive than my previous Samsung LCD and I can sometimes see contouring on low-contrast backgrounds. I live with it. To be fair you sometimes see it in the original source, too.

The space savings are variable; it depends on the master of the source.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll