Merging VOB files

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
solidsnake1298

Merging VOB files

Post by solidsnake1298 »

MakeMKV is unable to rip a handful of Doctor Who DVDs my wife has. Neither via the standard rip process nor backing it up to ISO.

For one of the discs I was able to finagle DVD Decrypter to extract the needed files in IFO mode only. Other modes failed. I haven't yet tried this process with the other bunch of problem discs. For some reason (not sure if for anti-ripping reasons) episodes on this disc span more than one VOB file. If I open the IFO file in MPC-BE it plays the video files properly, chapters and everything.

avidemux DOES work to merge the video and audio, but it doesn't pull down the subs or chapter info. Handbrake sees all the episodes and titles when reading directly from the DVD, but craps the bed during encoding. Possibly for the same reasons MakeMKV does.

I found a few ooooold tools from 2004 (IfoEdit), 2009 (AutoGK), and 2010 (vob2mpg). vob2mpg doesn't launch, period. IfoEdit reads in the IFO file but doesn't export to a format that handbrake can read for chapters. AutoGK launches but doesn't let me pull in all the subtitle tracks, the sub track I do pull in is burned in, and compresses into Xvid/Divx only.

So, my plan of attack is to use the merged mkv file that avidemux created from the VOB files, find a tool that can read in IFO and export to CSV/TXT (the chapter format that Handbrake supports), a tool that can extract subtitles to SRT (to import into Handbrake).

Does anyone know of any tools that reads in IFO and exports into CSV/TXT?
And does anyone know of any tools that can create subtitles and export as SRT?
Ezatoka

Re: Merging VOB files

Post by Ezatoka »

No answer for your tools. Just asking if you tried all the DVD opening modes MakeMKV has to offer. Maybe one of them works better than others: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28541
solidsnake1298

Re: Merging VOB files

Post by solidsnake1298 »

Ezatoka wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:10 pm
No answer for your tools. Just asking if you tried all the DVD opening modes MakeMKV has to offer. Maybe one of them works better than others: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28541
Within MakeMKV, I turned every knob I have access to. All the opening modes, manually opening, etc.