Forced Subtitles within a English Subtitle Track

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
technoob

Forced Subtitles within a English Subtitle Track

Post by technoob »

Hi,

I am new to makemkv and ripping in general for Plex. Slowly discovering the amazing world of subtitles haha.

So far, I have run into two types:
1) There is a separate English subtitle track that contains the forced subtitles (either it is labelled as "forced" or just an additional English subtitle track in MKV); or
2) It is burned into the video.

I was searching these forums and came across a possible third type:
"Forced subtitles in a subtitle track and NOT marked as forced".

So I interpret this as there being for example a single English subtitle track, and inside there are English subtitles identified as "forced".

Is this an actual thing? I can't seem to find much information on this. What software can be used to identify if forced subtitles are smooshed into a English subtitle track?

Are there any other ways in which forced subtitles can appear or is that it?

Thanks!
Chetwood

Re: Forced Subtitles within a English Subtitle Track

Post by Chetwood »

Did you use the search function which should turn up this?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
technoob

Post by technoob »

So your point #3 in that link you sent answers my question - it is possible to have a subtitle track that has the forced subtitles within the subtitle track (meaning they are not a separate track or burned into the video file itself).

How does one extract those out?
technoob

Post by technoob »

Sorry, I should be more precise in my last reply - Can there be situations of a general track that has forced subtitles but are not flagged? (seems to be what I am asking).
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In my experience, I have not run into a situation where 1) forced subtitles are not marked as forced and 2) forced subtitles are commingled with non-forced subtitles and 3) the forced subtitles are not available in a subtitle track by themselves.

I suppose if this were to be the case you could convert the whole thing to a .srt (a text based subtitle format) and delete the non-forced subtitles to get a forced only track.

I have run into situations where forced subtitles are not marked as forced. In these cases there has always been a subtitle track where these subtitles were isolated. This is why I rip all the subtitle tracks in my language.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Same here.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch