Changing The Title In MKV Toolnix Creates Another Issue

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
esftw

Changing The Title In MKV Toolnix Creates Another Issue

Post by esftw »

I recently added the Miami Vice series in TV shows. The titles were coming up wrong and I renamed the file but it shows like Miami Vice Season 5 Disc 2. I went through and put them all in order where the title of the file is correct but in Plex it shows the file name it was when played, not the real one. I used MKV toolnix and changed it. It shows up right now but there is one issue that changed and that was the ability to skip the credits in the beginning. When I click skip credits, it actually plays the credits. Before changing in toolnix, it would skip the credits when you pressed the button to do so. What do I need to change or what do I need to do differently when changing the name? Thank you in advance.
dcoke22

Re: Changing The Title In MKV Toolnix Creates Another Issue

Post by dcoke22 »

Plex Support: Credits Detection

You might need to try to get Plex to redo the credits detection. I don't know how to force Plex to do that. My best guess is to move the TV show out of your library, rescan the library so Plex notices you've removed the show, then re-add the TV show. I think Plex will then do the credits detection on the newly added show.

Credits detection is relatively new and doesn't quite have all the bugs worked out, IMHO.
esftw

Post by esftw »

Thank you for responding. I don't really know a whole lot about this. I actually found that the episodes showed one title and the beginning of each episode shows the name of the episode. So, I changed the name to the episode name and the season and episode number based on imdb. I deleted all the files from the plex folder and moved the "fixed" ones in there. Luckily I kept a copy of the original files but I'm at square one with the the right file title and episode number. It is set to auto scan when I add files so I figure it would change but it doesn't change the episode name or number and keeps the original title it was ripped as. I even did a manual scan. Is there a special way to delete the old folders as they may be keeping the information from the old files? If you look at the properties box, it shows the title season 5 disc one or whatever disc it is. But then when I watch the episode it still shows the old title and episode number and it doesn't let you skip the credits. When you press the skip credits it plays the credits. When it was "normal" it would show the beginning of the show then after a few minutes it would start the credits, just like it did when on TV but of course you were stuck watching the credits back then. Now you can skip them but when I changed the name of the episode it stops you from skipping the credits. It doesn't make sense on how it changes that. There must be a setting to stop this but I'm unfamiliar with toolnix. Like the music files, you can just change the name of the properties in the properties box and all is good. I would think there is a way to these the same way without using anything special but I don't know. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I will try to do as you suggested and see what happens.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think Plex does matching based on file name.

Plex Support: Naming and Organizing Your TV Show Files

I also think modern Plex will use themoviedb.org as the data source for matching movie and TV show titles. Miami Vice (1984)

If the files are organized and named properly, Plex should be able to figure out which episode is which and show them properly in the UI.
esftw

Post by esftw »

I thought it would too but it keeps the old name for some reason even though the title of that show is shown in the beginning of the show. It shows whatever the metadata is even though it's wrong. I don't understand it at all. Then, when trying to change the metadata it also makes the skip intro play the intro. Just plain weird.
The_Mole_UK

Post by The_Mole_UK »

Put 'mkvpropedit.exe' and 'Go.bat' in same file as the .mkv files and run it.
This will remove the embedded text. Then it will show what the filename says instead...
esftw

Post by esftw »

I will try that. Sorry it took so long to respond. Lot's of things happening in such little time. Thank you.