creating chapters from multiple merged mkv files

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
untechnoman

creating chapters from multiple merged mkv files

Post by untechnoman »

Hello all,

I'm trying to combine several separate mkv files, merge them into one file, which I have no problem doing; but I would like each of the files in the merge to be a chapter. Is there a (simple) way of doing this? The files did not originate from a DVD or BD.

Thanks for any advice.
tony55

Re: creating chapters from multiple merged mkv files

Post by tony55 »

There are a number of ways to do this. XMediaRecode can do this for you. It even has a preview function.

TxtToChap can convert 00.00.00.000 format to xml that is acceptable by MKVToolNix.

Tony
untechnoman

Post by untechnoman »

Maybe I'm not seeing it but I tried Xmedia Recode and I can't figure out how to get what I want. I have 15 videos that are coded the same way. I want to join them all in desired order with video one being chapter one, video two appended to video one and be chapter two, video three appended to video two and be chapter three, etc. Each video has a specified length, so the start time of each would be added to the end of the preceding video. I would like the resulting video to be one long video with the ability to chapter skip and if possible to have chapter list/names.

I have programs that can join the videos together (Handbrake, mkvmerge), but I can't seem to simply have the chapters created from that list. It just ends up being one long video. If there is a specific how to or I'm missing something I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
tony55

Post by tony55 »

Has to be done manually. Keep track of the lengths of each episode. Append them with MMG than use XMediaRecode to create your chapters based on the lengths of the original files. All done manually.

Tony
surlias

Post by surlias »

untechnoman wrote:Hello all,

I'm trying to combine several separate mkv files, merge them into one file, which I have no problem doing; but I would like each of the files in the merge to be a chapter. Is there a (simple) way of doing this? The files did not originate from a DVD or BD.

Thanks for any advice.
Looks like MKVToolNix added a convenient feature for this in the version 9.0 release: