Rip Dolby ATMOS Track without the Video?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
chetk

Rip Dolby ATMOS Track without the Video?

Post by chetk »

Hi,

I've ripped several 3D BDs to MKV, but many 3D titles don't include the ATMOS track. They usually ship with a 2D BD or UHD BD that does contain a Dolby ATMOS track. So, I'm ripping the video and Dolby ATMOS track from the 2D or UHD BD and remuxing it with the 3D MKV using mkvtoolnix. However, it takes so long to rip the movie twice (especially those UHD discs) when all I care about is the 3D MKV I've already ripped.

So, is it possible to select just the Dolby ATMOS track that I can then mux into the 3D MKV? Certainly, that would be faster than ripping 50+ Gigabytes for a video I'm just going to delete after using the ATMOS track.

Thanks!
Sunoo

Re: Rip Dolby ATMOS Track without the Video?

Post by Sunoo »

MakeMKV doesn’t support ripping audio tracks alone, so you’ll have to rip the video and throw it away.
dcoke22

Re: Rip Dolby ATMOS Track without the Video?

Post by dcoke22 »

The audio is intertwined with the video in the data written on the optical disc; it has to be so there's both video and sound at the same time.

If you only want the audio, the optical drive would still have to read the whole thing to find all the audio.

If you really want to save time, MakeMKV can work with more than one optical drive at the same time. Get another drive, turn on 'ask for single drive mode' in the IO tab of MakeMKV's preferences, and rip both discs at the same time.