www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV support forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:39 am 

I tried converting a couple DVDs, and came up with this problem: the audio doesn't start until about 7 seconds in. It's not delayed, meaning it's still synced properly, but it doesn't start until the 7 second mark. They are both Pokemon DVDs manufactured by Pioneer and Viz Video. They were released a few years apart, the release dates being May 14, 1999 and January 29, 2002, if that matters. This problem only affects the opening logos/previews, but those are what I'm trying to convert, so it's a problem.

Also, the subtitles are on by default, can that be changed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:48 pm 

If you play the DVDs in VLC, is the audio muted there, too?

I have ripped a LOT of Viz Media disks, and a few Pioneers, and have not encountered that problem.

On the other hand, BOTH Pioneer and Viz like to do "one subtitle track", so any player that plays subtitles by default is going to play subtitles.

My way of dealing with that is that everything goes through handbrake after ripping. Viz titles (and some others) are processed to generate a NEW subtitle track that is the first listed, that contains "forced only" subtitles. Since there are none in the track, the new track is empty... so subtitles do not appear until the second track is selected.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 am 

Woodstock wrote:
If you play the DVDs in VLC, is the audio muted there, too?

Yes, it is also muted in VLC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 am 

Is there a chapter numbered 0 (zero) in the MKV files?

While I have not seen (heard?) a dead lead-in on either brand, I have seen short lead-in chapters on some disks. They usually have audio, though. In VLC, you can open the "Playback" menu, and the Chapters item will list the chapters available. A chapter zero is unusual.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 am 

I've seen issues when the user is sending digital audio out to a receiver of some sort and the receiver has to latch on and figure out what type of signal it is receiving. Often times about half a second but it could be worse with some types of audio and receivers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 am 

Would it help if I posted screenshots of the details?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 am 

TeridaxXD001 wrote:
I tried converting a couple DVDs, and came up with this problem: the audio doesn't start until about 7 seconds in. It's not delayed, meaning it's still synced properly, but it doesn't start until the 7 second mark. They are both Pokemon DVDs manufactured by Pioneer and Viz Video. They were released a few years apart, the release dates being May 14, 1999 and January 29, 2002, if that matters. This problem only affects the opening logos/previews, but those are what I'm trying to convert, so it's a problem.

I just want to know if your DVD is genuine or a pirated on? Because in pirated DVD it is a commonly encountered.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:05 am 

Diana Welz wrote:
TeridaxXD001 wrote:

I just want to know if your DVD is genuine or a pirated on? Because in pirated DVD it is a commonly encountered.

These are definitely not pirate releases. The only thing is that the second DVD is stored as files, meaning a Video TS folder, on an external hard drive.

That definitely isn't the problem, because the first DVD was converted directly from the disc and it has the same issue.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:44 pm 

Are you using an external amplifier for audio, as Krawk asked? I see this with playback to my TV+theater audio setup for some codecs; every time I pause, it takes a moment before the audio comes back.

If you're playing in VLC, what does it show for audio codecs on the Information->Codec screen?