Wrong resolution (The Legend of Suriyothai)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
makilahy

Wrong resolution (The Legend of Suriyothai)

Post by makilahy »

When the latest version is used on my DVD of "The Legend of Suriyothai" (2001), the video gets compressed into a narrower frame. (I tried to attach small screenshots, but I kept getting the "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" error.) My screenshots of the MakeMKV video have dimensions of 722x645. According to MakeMKV, the video track has Resolution: 720x480, Aspect ratio: 4:3. However, when I play the DVD from VLC Media Player, my screenshot has dimensions of 855x585.

If I try to rip using the latest version of Handbrake (even with libdvdcss.dll in the program directory), the resolution is correct, but the video gets garbled.

Any suggestions?
Woodstock

Re: Wrong resolution (The Legend of Suriyothai)

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is copying what is on the disk into a file. The MKV file contains the aspect ratio that is in the video stream itself, but that is not the only place the aspect ratio on a DVD... and sometimes the stream and DVD directory have different values. MakeMKV has no way to know which one is correct, so it always chooses the one in the video stream.

The only "fix" is to edit the flag in the MKV. This MAY help:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php ... rge#p39904
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
makilahy

Post by makilahy »

Woodstock wrote:MakeMKV is copying what is on the disk into a file. The MKV file contains the aspect ratio that is in the video stream itself, but that is not the only place the aspect ratio on a DVD... and sometimes the stream and DVD directory have different values. MakeMKV has no way to know which one is correct, so it always chooses the one in the video stream.

The only "fix" is to edit the flag in the MKV. This MAY help:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php ... rge#p39904
Thank you! That fixed it. I greatly appreciate the help.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Woodstock wrote:sometimes the stream and DVD directory have different values. MakeMKV has no way to know which one is correct, so it always chooses the one in the video stream.
You say MakeMKV doesn't know which one is correct... but I, the user, do know which one is correct.

My example is Futurama Volume 2 DVD, Disc 2.

One episode shows up stretched to 16:9 when played with VLC, but it's supposed to be 4:3 like all the rest.

Since I know it's supposed to be 4:3, what if MakeMKV had a selection choice of 16:9 or 4:3... just like I can select audio tracks, what if I could select the aspect ratio when I know that the default is wrong?

Is there any chance that something like this would be possible?