Story Of Film

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
bvrulez

Story Of Film

Post by bvrulez »

I recognise that several DVDs of this Box have sound issues regarding the volume. It seems that there is a problem with the background and the central voice. The volume changes constantly. I did not have this problem with an earlier version of makeMKV ripping the first DVD of the box. Now I had the issue with the second and third one. I compared all aspects of the files and found that the only difference was the encoder used. I did not yet try with the latest version of makeMKV. I ripped House of Cards with the same settings and have no issues.
Woodstock

Re: Story Of Film

Post by Woodstock »

Unless you have asked MakeMKV to recode a track to FLAC (use of the FLAC profile, or a personal one based on FLAC), MakeMKV is simply copying what is on the disk into the MKV file.

You may be noticing a difference in how the encoded audio plays back; AC3 audio (found on most DVDs) is played louder by a lot of players than the equivalent AAC audio, and there can be other differences.

Are you recoding to FLAC during the rip?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bvrulez

Post by bvrulez »

Hey Woodstock, I saw you answering my other posting regarding the same issue (after ripping a second DVD from that box). I am not doing something with FLAC, i guess. But I would be curious to where this would be chosen in the settings. So I can make sure it is not the problem. So, to what section of the "preferences" menu do you refer? Thanks, Ben
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

To use profiles, you need to go to Preferences->General and check "Expert mode", then a lot of options open up... Including (on the Preferences->Advanced tab) selecting your default profile, and the ability to exit a lot more information about what is being ripped.

If you do not have a Preferences->Advanced tab, you're using the default profile, which is to simply copy the audio tracks without modification.

Varying audio can depend on the playback device - some audio codecs play fine on my TV, but others only play if I turn on the theater amp, and some play with random drop-outs. That's a TV issue, in my mind, and eventually I'll get a different (better?) TV to deal with it.
bvrulez

Post by bvrulez »

Thanks! I do indeed use the advanced mode, but just for the selection rule ("-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang|single),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang,-sel:subtitle") and the profile above it is set to "default". So, what you are saying is that this one dvd(box) probably used a different sound mode and thus this sound gets copied to the mkv-file and my TV (or maybe the NAS and its DNLA-server) is not able to work with it correctly, right? Because this is the only time I experience it. And no, I am not planning to get another TV for it. :) Especially, since Samsung constantly updates its "SmartTV" application.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Samsung does cover a lot of codecs, but there are still some it hands off to attached devices. I just did a search on Samsung codec support in general, and found example models that do not list support for AC3, which is REALLY weird, because that's the standard codec for DVD. But most seem to support it.

I don't have knowledge of this title, so I can't say for sure what audio options it has.
bvrulez

Post by bvrulez »

Awesome! I can check the mkv for the audio and other properties. I did it once but can't remember the way. I also can check the TV model tomorrow.
bvrulez

Post by bvrulez »

The TV is a Samsung UE37ES5700.