Can anyone tell me what this error code means please?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
OliverTwist

Can anyone tell me what this error code means please?

Post by OliverTwist »

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '0'

While scanning, my player was making lots of weird and loud repetitive mechanical noises. It took forever to read the disc. In fact, it's at nearly 14 mins. elapsed time and the progress bar hasn't even kicked in yet. It's still "analyzing seamless segments" with no results; just strange noises from my player and multiple error messages as copied above.

I'm guessing this is a disc read error?

The DVD did arrive loose in the keepcase with some scratches on the surface. It plays back just fine and I've rubbed it down thoroughly with a microfibre cloth used for eyeglass lenses. Any other tricks to get around this error like using some sort of liquid cleaner or Vaseline, or is it just a bum disc that needs to be replaced?
Woodstock

Re: Can anyone tell me what this error code means please?

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, that's definitely your drive saying it can't read the disk.

If the disk was new, return it for replacement. Scratches in the wrong place can make it impossible for MakeMKV to find all the parts of a file.

If the disk isn't new, my go-to method is Pledge furniture polish (or the generic equivalent) - spray it on, rub it in with a CLEAN finger until the water starts to flash off and the wax gets thicker, then use a clean cotton cloth to polish it and remove the excess wax (wipe outward from the center, not along the axis). Allow it to dry. Attempt the rip again.

If the scratches are minor, the above has worked for me over 80% of the time. If it doesn't allow you to rip the disk, it probably needs to be resurfaced, and I would take it to someone who has the equipment to do it properly... Most video rental stores have that equipment, and usually have someone who knows how to use it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
OliverTwist

Re: Can anyone tell me what this error code means please?

Post by OliverTwist »

Wow, I actually fixed it by spraying the disc with eyeglass cleaner, wiping it down with a cotton ball, smearing some petroleum jelly on the surface and rubbing it into the surface, then reapplying the cleaner and wiping it all off! It took all of 7 minutes and the disc is currently saving to MKV file! :)