Error in DVD drive, BR drive works fine with same DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
silbaer

Error in DVD drive, BR drive works fine with same DVD

Post by silbaer »

Hi!

I am not sure is this is a linux, DVD or a general problem. With some (or many) DVD I get this error in my DVD drive:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW 3.07' at offset 'XXXXX'

In my BR drive this dvd work perfect.

CU,
silbaer
System: Ubuntu 14.04, MakeMKV v1.10.4 linux(x64-release)
DVD drive: NEC ND-3520AW (3.07)
BR drive: LG BH16NS40 (1.01)
Woodstock

Re: Error in DVD drive, BR drive works fine with same DVD

Post by Woodstock »

You have a bit of the opposite issue that I've seen - when the BD drives can't read a DVD, it's time to get a DVD drive out. :)

Were there errors or debug messages prior to the SCSI error? Is it just this one DVD, or more than one?

(the standard advise to clean the disk still applies, even when the BD drive can read it; BD and DVD use different laser frequencies, and some times one can see through a problem that blinds the other)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
silbaer

Post by silbaer »

Ok, the same error on two disks: "Veronica Mars - die komplette zweite Staffel" disk 3 und 6
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW 3.07' at offset '1048576'

The offset is the same on both disks. And there are no other messages before or after. And the disks are clean and nearly without scratches.
System: Ubuntu 14.04, MakeMKV v1.10.4 linux(x64-release)
DVD drive: NEC ND-3520AW (3.07)
BR drive: LG BH16NS40 (1.01)
Cornstick

Post by Cornstick »

I'm having the same issue on a disc I just purchased yesterday from the $4 bin at Wal-Mart. It's a double-feature disc with "Daddy Day Care" and "Daddy Day Camp".

When I first insert the disc, I get the Error:

'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'DVD+R-DL hp DVD-RAM GH80N RF03' at offset '1048576'

It still loads the disc. When I attempt to rip the two titles it doesn't look MakeMKV is doing anything for a long time. Then the green bar goes across and eventually finishes the operation with NO ERRORS. However, the files are empty of any data.

ADDED: I forgot to mention it doesn't matter what drive I use. I have two BD drives and two DVD drives. All give me exactly the same error.