DVDs that cannot be ripped:

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Rumourd

DVDs that cannot be ripped:

Post by Rumourd »

Here are the DVDs -- that I own -- which I've been having problems unlocking, with any software. The discs do not appear to be smudged or scratched or damaged, and they play fine in all manner of DVD/Blu players.

Mean Streets
1900 (Bertolucci's 5 hr cut)
Blues Brothers Extended Cut
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Memento
Magnolia
Once Upon a Time in America (long version)
Point Blank
Serpico
Raising Arizona
Blade Runner

Has anyone had success with these? If so, can you tell which software you used? Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: DVDs that cannot be ripped:

Post by Woodstock »

Blade Runner rips just fine with MakeMKV. But, there are multiple versions and pressings of BR out there over the years.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Rumourd

Post by Rumourd »

This would be the "final cut" disc.
Transporter

Post by Transporter »

Rumourd wrote:This would be the "final cut" disc.
I was able to rip Blade Runner Final Cut with MakeMKV to an MKV file and also with RedFox CloneDVD2 to an ISO/TS file.

I ripped Memento with RedFox CloneDVD2 then used MakeMKV to turn the TS file into an MKV file.

I am having issues with other DVDs.

No matter how I rip "Cincinnati Kid", I can't watch the movie because the Directors Comments are ON for all three rip-able files and I can't hear the dialog. I can't rip "The Life of David Gale" with MakeMKV or CloneDVD2, fails every time.

Ideas to try?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Wild guess is that the director's commentary is a "better quality" audio than the movie audio, and you're using the default selection rule for MakeMKV. This is especially true of titles where the main audio is 2 channels, and the commentary is a 5.1 channel.

When you load the disk, click on the little triangle next to the title, to show the tracks within the title. What is selected already?

(my default rule is set to rip ALL audio/subtitle tracks, and I pick through it after the rip)
Transporter

Post by Transporter »

Woodstock wrote:Wild guess is that the director's commentary is a "better quality" audio than the movie audio, and you're using the default selection rule for MakeMKV. This is especially true of titles where the main audio is 2 channels, and the commentary is a 5.1 channel.

When you load the disk, click on the little triangle next to the title, to show the tracks within the title. What is selected already?

(my default rule is set to rip ALL audio/subtitle tracks, and I pick through it after the rip)
That sounds logical, I'll give it a shot. This disk shows weird numbers. I have a huge 5.2GB file and 2.8GB File with a small 281MB file (which I think is the Menu File). The audio files that show with both the big files are DD Stereo English, French, Spanish and DD Mono English, French, Spanish. I will try again with the larger file and checking DD Mono English this time for the MKV file and see what happens. I have already built MKV files using both large and smaller file using DD Stereo English and can't hear the dialog due to the Director's Commentary.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I would say it is "most likely" the mono tracks are the movie audio track. I've seen this with a couple of old movies.
Transporter

Post by Transporter »

Woodstock wrote:I would say it is "most likely" the mono tracks are the movie audio track. I've seen this with a couple of old movies.
Thanks Woodstock, that was it. Needed the largest file with the DD Mono English to get a MKV file that had dialog audio I could hear using PLEX.