Sound ok but no voice

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
BenDu57

Sound ok but no voice

Post by BenDu57 »

Hi there.
I got this problem with the latest beta version 1.10.5, whatever language I select... Any idea ?
Woodstock

Re: Sound ok but no voice

Post by Woodstock »

The voice would be part of the main sound track, so if you have sound, you should have voice.

Does your player see multiple audio tracks in the MKV file? When you ripped the disk, did you check to see if the title had multiple audio tracks? (you can do this by clicking on the little triangle next to the title in the left window)

The default selection rule on MakeMKV looks for the "best" audio track for a given language. That is not necessarily the CORRECT audio track for some disks. Some disks from the BBC have a separate "music only" track that may be in stereo, even if the main audio was mono.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BenDu57

Post by BenDu57 »

Hi Woodstock, thanks for your answer.
There are 4 soundtracks on the DVD, for 4 different languages (english, french, german and italian).
I tried to rip the dvd 4 times, each time with one soundtrack. Same result. I have sound (music, cars in background, ...), but no voices.
And it works perfectly on a dvd reader...
One more thing : it is a dvd+blu-ray bundle and the problem is the same with the blu-ray disc...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Again, MakeMKV (by default) does not mess with the tracks, especially on DVD. On Bluray, you can configure it to convert some lossless tracks that (used to be) incompatible with a lot of playback devices to the FLAC codec, but that, too, is optional.

For the titles in question, mark ALL the audio tracks for ripping, and use a player like VLC that has the ability to play most audio codecs. It can also select the various tracks easily during playback. Does VLC have the voice?

I suspect you're only getting the background channels on playback, but that in itself would be weird, since there would normally be some voice mixed in with the rear channels of a 5.1 source.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BenDu57

Post by BenDu57 »

Hi Woodstock.
I'm using vlc as my standard reader...
I tried, as you recommended, to rip with all the sound channels.
Then in VLC, I can switch from one to the other, but still no voices...
BenDu57

Post by BenDu57 »

Hi again.
I downloaded and installed the very last very of VLC and now... it works !!!

Thanks for your help...