High Data Rates

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
chuckles

High Data Rates

Post by chuckles »

I have been using the Beta version of MakeMKV for a few weeks and it appears that the MKV files produced have too high of a data rate and Total bitrate. These MKV files will not stream to my DLNA devices. I have to use Handbrake to convert them but doing so I lose many of the subtitles that were burned into the original MKV file.

Example: (tried to attach a jpg screenshot from the snipping tool but it wouldn't allow me)
Date Rate 6006kbps
Total bitrate 6206kbps

Is there any way you can fix this so I won't have to use a different program to convert it? I prefer not to use several programs to get the end result.

Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: High Data Rates

Post by Woodstock »

The data rate in the MKV file is the data rate that was on the disk. Since MakeMKV does not convert video, that's what you get. If your DLNA server cannot handle the bandwidth, then post-processing is a good option. My experience with DLNA servers is that the ones built into routers are just too slow to be useful with high-def video. And WiFi connections to devices suck.

Handbrake can preserve subtitle tracks just fine - I use it for my anime collection, and it just processed 50 episodes from BD for me overnight, using MKV for output (same 50 were also processed to MP4 with burned-in subtitles). But subtitles are something that is very hard to automate, so you can expect to need to tweak things to get it right. The "Foreign audio scan" setting in handbrake has limitations (they'll tell you about them on the handbrake forum, if you ask); I have only ever used it in testing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging