Maleficent: MakeMKV needs help

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
keybounce

Maleficent: MakeMKV needs help

Post by keybounce »

The DVD "Maleficent" fails to copy with just MakeMKV; it works if VLC + libcss + libdvdnav get to it first.

Initially, I got

Drive DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRW GX40N RQ00 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' at offset '4096'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB' at offset '4096'
DEBUG: Code 101019395 at ;{S2tNsRaBjyyfJ60(:121262969
Started up VLC. It took significantly longer than normal to start playing, but played the movie no problem. I paused it (left it open), and then went to MakeMKV.
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (38 cell(s), 1:37:05)
Title #3 was added (8 cell(s), 0:06:04)
Title #4 was added (4 cell(s), 0:03:13)
Title #5 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 90 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:04:55)
Region setting of drive HL-DT-ST:DVDRW GX40N does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...
Operation successfully completed
Saving 4 titles into directory /Volumes/Kleiman Movies/Videos to watch/Netflix Timeshift/NeedsProcessing/Maleficent
4 titles saved
Worked fine the second time.

The point: There is some way to bypass this protection in software, and MakeMKV needs to learn it.

Full debug log:
https://puu.sh/wyhX6/9ce843122a.txt
Woodstock

Re: Maleficent: MakeMKV needs help

Post by Woodstock »

Normally, MakeMKV does not care about region codes, either DVD or Bluray. I have, occasionally, see the "cannot be bypassed" on a drive that is already set for the region of the disk (region 1), but the drive was confused. MakeMKV then continues on to rip the disk without issue.

It is likely that it is a transient error. When I ripped Maleficent, there was no region error.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Film-fan

Re: Maleficent: MakeMKV needs help

Post by Film-fan »

As a matter of habit now, based on what I've learned in posts on this and other sites (Handbrake, for one), I load VLC and open the DVD with it before I use RipIt or MakeMKV, and I haven't had a problem with copying since. I pause VLC (using VLC's DVD menu) so that there's no competition for seeks while RipIt or MakeMKV are operating. I leave VLC's DVD player at the DVD navigation menu when I pause it. FWIW. (YMMV.)
keybounce wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:03 pm
The DVD "Maleficent" fails to copy with just MakeMKV; it works if VLC + libcss + libdvdnav get to it first.

Initially, I got

Drive DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRW GX40N RQ00 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
DEBUG: Code 101019395 at ;{S2tNsRaBjyyfJ60(:121262969
Started up VLC. It took significantly longer than normal to start playing, but played the movie no problem. I paused it (left it open), and then went to MakeMKV.
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (38 cell(s), 1:37:05)
Title #3 was added (8 cell(s), 0:06:04)
Title #4 was added (4 cell(s), 0:03:13)
Title #5 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 90 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:04:55)
Region setting of drive HL-DT-ST:DVDRW GX40N does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...
Operation successfully completed
Saving 4 titles into directory /Volumes/Kleiman Movies/Videos to watch/Netflix Timeshift/NeedsProcessing/Maleficent
4 titles saved
Worked fine the second time.

The point: There is some way to bypass this protection in software, and MakeMKV needs to learn it.

Full debug log:
https://puu.sh/wyhX6/9ce843122a.txt