Please add support to copy DVDs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
∫xdxdy

Please add support to copy DVDs

Post by ∫xdxdy »

Today I wanted to copy DVDs after I bought a DVD outside. I heard that makemkv can copy Bluray, so I thought it would also be able to copy DVD. In the morning, I went out only with my macbook, leaved my surface because I didn't want a too heavy bag. After I bought the DVD far from my home, downloaded makemkv in 50k/s, just to found it doesn't support DVD backup.
The Backup option is only available for Bluray. For DVD, only saving to MKV files is supported.

There is no way to save the menu structure for DVD or Bluray if you are converting the video to MKV files. But MKV files generally take up less space than the "backup" option.
So I sit outside the store, stay in the cold winter wind, stupidly tired several other Apps under the 50K/s network, include dvdbackup through Homebrew, which just told me 'Cannot seek DVD device'. I'm despaired after 3 hours trying.

So why ineed wouldn't you support DVD backup..........................................................................................................Any way you need to decrypt DVD before you do anything, it wouldn't take your extra work.
Woodstock

Re: Please add support to copy DVDs

Post by Woodstock »

There are several existing applications for copying DVDs to ISO files that can be burned to disk, starting at "free with the operating system" (dd which comes with Linux) and going up from there. Some will even compress the files enough to allow you to fit dual-layer DVDs on a single-layer disk. And most DVD playback software now can play these still-encrypted copied DVDs.

At the time the "backup" option was added to MakeMKV, there wasn't the same functionality for BDs.

While Mike has not said "no" to this request, it has come up many times, and been ignored or explained several time. MakeMKV is not a "back up your optical disks" package, it's a "convert optical disks to MKV files package. Even the BD backup doesn't really make a "copy to BD" ready ISO...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
∫xdxdy

Post by ∫xdxdy »

Woodstock wrote:There are several existing applications for copying DVDs to ISO files that can be burned to disk, starting at "free with the operating system" (dd which comes with Linux) and going up from there. Some will even compress the files enough to allow you to fit dual-layer DVDs on a single-layer disk. And most DVD playback software now can play these still-encrypted copied DVDs.

At the time the "backup" option was added to MakeMKV, there wasn't the same functionality for BDs.

While Mike has not said "no" to this request, it has come up many times, and been ignored or explained several time. MakeMKV is not a "back up your optical disks" package, it's a "convert optical disks to MKV files package. Even the BD backup doesn't really make a "copy to BD" ready ISO...
Well, thnakyou. It's understandable. I feel better now after a sleep. Many people don't understand details, they may misunderstand the means of copy, backup, and other ambiguous words.

The point is decrypting. "copying DVDs to ISO files" keeps CSS protect. Every other application in macOS that can decrypt DVD is not free, although they may using the free libdvdcss. I have bought Anydvd, my friend bought DVDFAB Passkey, but they are all for windows. I should take my surface rather than a flashy MacBook.

As far as I know, some people using makemkv as an instead of anydvd, dvdfab passkey or other similar things. They are all expensive, about 50 dollars. So a simple question is why makemkv is still free.......
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I found a Windows program years ago called "BDLOT" that would create an unencrypted ISO of DVDs. I used it when I had some disks that caused MakeMKV heartburn, until Mike fixed the problem. It wasn't the only one out there for Windows.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging