No Menus or Title Showing Up

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Adam-W

No Menus or Title Showing Up

Post by Adam-W »

When I convert my DVD it loses menus. I looked at the log and saw that it skipped a couple titles that were too short, so I adjusted the settings to allow for shorter titles and trid again. Still no menus. These are instructional dance videos, and you need the menus to be able to select which figure (chapter?) you want to review, so it is totally about ease of navigation for these to be used.

I've saved to an ISO and VLC was able to see and use the menus. On a PC. But that's not working as a solution to storing these on an external USB drive to play on an Android tablet. I need to convert to a different format and it has to be able to preserve the menus.

Any ideas on why the menus (and title) get skipped? Here's the log for the last attempt:

Code: Select all

Using direct disc access mode
Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #2 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:31)
Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #3 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:40)
Cells 78-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Complex multiplex encountered - 77 cells and 16649 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #4 was added (77 cell(s), 2:18:35)
Operation successfully completed
Saving 3 titles into directory D:/Libraries/My Videos/DanceVision
3 titles saved
Maybe something about that "structure protection"? Any solution for it?
Grauhaar

Re: No Menus or Title Showing Up

Post by Grauhaar »

The program is named MakeMKV and MKV is designed to save ONE Title (Video, Audio(s), Subtitle(s), Chapter) in ONE File. Menus are not supported by the MKV Container Format. The ISO format is simple. all files and structures are copied in one file, like a ZIP file.
Good Luck :)

Post by Adam-W »

I have tried doing just one title instead of the whole DVD, manually un-checking the additional titles in the DVD, to same result regarding menus. It is not correct that the program can't grab all titles on a DVD and generate to a single MKV file, but since I don't care about the advertisements the point is strictly academic. I am trying the MKV because my research specifically pointed to it supporting menus. VLC could not actually do the MKV conversion, but it indicated that such a conversion would support menus. If MKV doesn't support menus I'll have to use a different format. The only other format VLC showed as supporting menus was MP4/MOV, but also indicated it didn't support chapters. The result was a file that only had the menus and didn't include the rest of the content. Hence my arrival to MakeMKV. Perhaps there is a missing add-on I need for VLC to make the MKV conversion.

I just need a fully functional conversion format for about 80 instructional DVDs that will play on Android from an external USB drive, and I really don't care what format it is.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Only the ISO format stores the complete structure and all files (untouched) in one ISO file. Formats like MKV, TS, MOV, MP4 are pur container formats to store comverted data from the original container, but always without the menu which is stored in other files (IFO for DVDs).
Good Luck :)