[SOLVED] Fake Title/Navigation Error

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
crouton

[SOLVED] Fake Title/Navigation Error

Post by crouton »

Until quite recently, I could rip DVDs in Linux on my Chromebook, using a USB powered external CD/DVD-ROM. The USB port is 3.2, so plenty of power should be available.

I recently installed the latest Linux version. Now, every DVD I insert gives me the dreaded "Fake Title" error. I've enabled Expert Mode, and I've tried to open the DVD manually, providing, for example, 1 in the token field. At this point, the program attempts to open the title, then gives up with, "Navigation Error". This seems exceedingly strange.

So I installed dvdbackup and also libdvd-pkg (to provided libdvdcss). I am able to back up the entire DVD using the following command:

Code: Select all

dvdbackup -M -i /dev/sr0 -o MyPath/Backups/ -p
Note: "MyPath" is the folder I'm backing up to.

After copying the entire DVD to disk (actually a MicroSD card), I then invoke MakeMkv, drill down to the IFO file, and let MakeMkv go to work! It adjusts the offset as needed, then decrypts everything and assembles the VOBs into mkv movie files.

The entire process is very fast, and this has become my goto way of ripping DVDs. I realize this method will not work with BlueRay, but I don't yet have any BlueRay disks, so I'm fine with the process.

It seems odd to me that MakeMkv is failing like this, especially dvdbackup runs smoothly, as a rule. MakeMkv is a very complex program, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions at this point.