Northern Exposure

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
floatinjoe

Northern Exposure

Post by floatinjoe »

I've been ripping the Northern Exposure complete series box set. A large number of discs are producing this comment in the log:

Unable to open file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_6.VOB' in OS mode due to a bug in OS Kernel. This can be worked around, but read speed may be very slow.

They all appear to rip, but they are indeed very slow. Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

I'm running MakeMKV 1.17.3 on a MacBook Pro running Venutra 13.4. The drive is an Asus DVD optical drive.
htpc_rookie

Re: Northern Exposure

Post by htpc_rookie »

Northern Exposure (which from my recollection was great) is a rather old tv series and it may need a rather older solution rather than MakeMkv. For a problem rip that I had I dug out DVD Decrypter which hasn’t been updated for years but is closer in age and therefore more likely to be effective given software backward compatibility challenges.
DVD Decrypter is clunky, not user friendly and may well require work in the output to get it into a better configuration but might well do the job.
floatinjoe

Re: Northern Exposure

Post by floatinjoe »

Thank you. As I mentioned, the rip is working. I just haven’t seen this error before, and it definitely slows down the rip.

When I get an error, and there is something I can do to remedy it, I like to do it. Since I had never seen this, I’m looking for some background on it, and to see if there is anything I can/should do.