Are HD-DVD still supported (Ver 1.17.4) ?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
tga44

Are HD-DVD still supported (Ver 1.17.4) ?

Post by tga44 »

Hello,

(I'm French, I hope this English message will be understandable ;))

I know this is a DVD section, but I couldn't find an HD-DVD one :wink: .

I'm trying to rip my collection of 70 HD-DVD before they get rotted, and because both my Toshiba HD-DVD players are not working anymore :x .

However, I can't get MakeMKV version 1.17.4 working with HD-DVD disks (tested on both Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and Linux Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS), using an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive.

I tested it with DVD : it works fine.

Every time I try with a HD-DVD disk, the program freezes and crashes once it starts analysing the disk (it crashes at the exact same time on both Windows or Linux).

However, on Windows, if I also install AnyDVD HD from Redfox (in charge of decrypting before another application read data coming from the drive as far as I've understood), it works.

So, it seems the program crashes attempting to decrypt a HD-DVD disk.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Has MakeMKV 1.17.4 been tested successfully with HD-DVD disks ? Should I use a former version for HD-DVD : which one do you suggest ?

I can provide you with any log data you may require.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Woodstock

Re: Are HD-DVD still supported (Ver 1.17.4) ?

Post by Woodstock »

There have been reported problems with HD-DVD on version 1.17 of MakeMKV. 1.16 is still available, but you might have trouble running it if you don't have an active user key.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tga44

Re: Are HD-DVD still supported (Ver 1.17.4) ?

Post by tga44 »

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Yes, I found those posts yesterday after having posted mine...
Woodstock wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:52 am
There have been reported problems with HD-DVD on version 1.17 of MakeMKV. 1.16 is still available, but you might have trouble running it if you don't have an active user key.
Yesterday I tested the version 1.10.5 (the latest version mensionning an HD-DVD fix in the revision history), and it works fine :). I also feared the key would be a problem with an old version of MakeMKV, but it works with the current key ! :)

Well, it works for the video and audio tracks, but as far as I've understood, the subtitles extraction doesn't : I need to test the workarounds, extracting the subtitles from the .evo files, not from the MKV files where they are wrong...

Thanks again for your help, it's greatly appreciated :).