Hide and Seek

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
wtsalzman

Hide and Seek

Post by wtsalzman »

Is there a way to copy off additional versions of this movie with make MKV? The disc includes a theatrical version and 4 additional alternate endings. In make MKV it has one long title that corresponds to the theatrical version (B1-t00) the alternate endings appear to be in other titles that only contain the replacement final scene. it b1 minus the final scene with d1 in it's place is the "Happy Drawing" alternate ending. b1 minus final plus d2 is the "Life with Katherine" ending etc... when I open the disk with VLC I see 5 full length movies but in make mkv I have b1 and then d1-d4 which are the alternate final scenes. How can I burn each of these as alternate movies for local storage?
Chetwood

Re: Hide and Seek

Post by Chetwood »

Usually each variation has its own playlist so if you select this, you can make an mkv of that version. You should be able to determine this by title length or if you're on Windows by using BDInfo.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
wtsalzman

Post by wtsalzman »

It's a DVD so BDInfo doesn't help. Thanks though. Is it possible for MakeMkv to see the 'Other playlists' you mention? How do I switch into those other playlists and burn the alternates? I guess I'm missing something.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Can't say how it's done on DVD because I don't own any with a movie that has several versions on it. But I assume it's similar to BDs where the info window on the right shows the playlist, once you've selected a title in the left window. Title 3 of my Avatar Extended Collector's Edition Disc 1 yields

Title information
Name: Extended Collector’s Edition Disc 1 (German)
Source file name: 00003.mpls
Duration: 2:58:09
Chapters count: 75
Size: 40.3 GB
Segment count: 33
Segment map: 49,2,34,4,35,6,36,8,37,10,50,12,38,14,51,16,40,18,41,20,42,22,52,24,44,26,45,28,46,30,47,32,48
File name: Extended Collector's Edition Disc 1_t02.mkv

which is the Extended Collector's Cut.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Hard to say without seeing the actual disc structure but I'd say the multiple versions of the movie are compiled by the disc menu on-the-fly.

If it was a Blu-ray then it would likely have multiple playlists using many of the same segments, but as you say, DVD's don't have playlist files so it has to be done programmatically.

You could compile the different versions of the movie yourself. It could be done by splitting and/or appending the segments in MKVToolNix, but it would probably be easier to do it in a video editing suite (one with a lossless output option so no re-encoding).

Just out of interest, is the title also available on Blu-ray? It may be easier just to upgrade (and you get the movie in HD as a bonus)!
wtsalzman

Post by wtsalzman »

Thanks for the help everyone. I was hoping for an easier solution but will look at finding a bluray of the movie and trying to convert that.