Trying to convert The Matrix (1999) W/S version

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
crouton

Trying to convert The Matrix (1999) W/S version

Post by crouton »

I first use dvdbackup in Linux to decrypt the DVD, and then use MakeMkv to convert the data to mkv files. This has been working 100% of the time until this particular DVD.

I noticed that dvdbackup retrieved 4 CSS keys:

VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_0.VOB
VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB
VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB

but then only found 3 VTS's.

When I open VIDEO_TS.IFO in MakeMkv, it never runs to completion, as apparently it can't find anything legitimate to process.

Does anyone have an idea what is happening here, and is there anything I can do to change the outcome?
Sunoo

Re: Trying to convert The Matrix (1999) W/S version

Post by Sunoo »

Why not just open the DVD directly in MakeMKV?
crouton

Re: Trying to convert The Matrix (1999) W/S version

Post by crouton »

Sunoo wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:40 pm
Why not just open the DVD directly in MakeMKV?
dvdbackup seems more reliable, and makemkv sometimes seems finicky. I'm using a USB CD-ROM, and sometimes makemkv has problems with it. I'm not blaming makemkv for my problem, as it's occurring (I think) before I run makemkv.

Thanks for your reply.

Update: I tried to open the DVD directly from MakeMkv, and got the same results. Then I remembered "Expert mode", so I turned it on, and added my DVD manually. I had to put in a "token" code, so I used a 1.

Result: Ripped! Now if I can figure out how to get the "special features", as all I got was the main movie. But this is awesome: at least I got it.

Update 2: Wow! I'm learning so much about MakeMkv. I tried once again to open the DVD manually. This time, I noticed there were 35 titles. So for my token, I entered 1-35. The result was, I only got the first title. The documentation mentions putting in the titles you want, so I entered:

1 2 3 4 - - - etc - - - 32 33 34 35

And this time, I got everything which was over 120 seconds. The program itself removed duplicate titles; however, I did retrieve 3 copies of the movie! I assume at least 1 is a video with commentary in English. I'll be investigating the files with mplayer.

I wondered if my token format was wrong, like, maybe 1 - 35 would be correct. But no, it told me to use 1-35. However, as I stated above, this didn't work, so maybe I have to specify exactly what I want.

In life, sometimes you have not because you ask not. Anyhow, Mike, if you're reading this, I'm thoroughly enjoying using your program.