MakeMKV gets "lost in space" on continuous loop DVD

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
52bickman

MakeMKV gets "lost in space" on continuous loop DVD

Post by 52bickman »

I've tried ripping a Universal Vault Series DVD that has no DVD menu, but simply loops on the video itself. I've tried ripping it on different drives on different computers. It plays on the regular DVD player connected to the TV. MakeMKV recognizes the DVD. It recognizes the contents of the disk. However, when it does the scan, it quits reading the disk fairly quick though it acts like it is performing the scan. After a couple days, it still acts like it is doing the "scan" but seemingly is stuck in an endless loop. Anyone have insights?

MakeMKV version 1.17.5 on Debian 12 Linux Kernel 6.1.0-13-amd64

Log messages:
MakeMKV v1.17.5 linux(x64-release) started
udf: udf_get_node: bad allocation extension size in udf_node
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
udf: udf_get_node: bad allocation extension size in udf_node
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #2 does not match one in IFO header.

The video file appears to be named VTS_02_0.BUP at 4.2GB with a VTS_02_0.INF at 18.4 KB and a VTS_02_0.VOB at 116.7KB. The other files on the DVD are small files (less than 1MB). The exception is the copyright notice in a .VOB file. The name of the video is "Up in Central Park" (1949).
dcoke22

Re: MakeMKV gets "lost in space" on continuous loop DVD

Post by dcoke22 »

Does making a decrypted backup of the DVD work?
52bickman

Post by 52bickman »

How does one perform a "decrypted backup"?

I was able to use Handbrake to get the DVD read and ripped. Thanks. It is still perplexing why MakeMKV would go into a tail-spin though. How does one debug MakeMkv?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

52bickman wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:11 pm
How does one perform a "decrypted backup"?

From the MakeMKV 'Tools' menu > 'Backup' (or the 'folder' icon on the toolbar). When the 'Backup' dialog opens, check 'Decrypt video files'.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I'm glad you got it ripped.

DVDs are a bit of a strange beast. MakeMKV has various DVD opening modes to attempt to figure out the structure of various DVDs. DVD opening modes - CellWalk, CellTrim, CellFull It is my understanding that most of the difficulty of DVDs comes from the various abuses of the DVD format the studios employ to make ripping DVDs harder. In my experience blu-rays are less problematic because the specification for blu-rays doesn't offer as much room for the kinds of abuses employed on DVDs.

Making a decrypted backup is a way for MakeMKV to copy the complete contents of a disc onto your storage (minus the encryption) without trying to interpret the structure of the disc. One can then open the backup in MakeMKV to make .mkv files from the backup (instead of the disc). If making the backup is successful, it means MakeMKV was able to correctly read the disc. Sometimes read errors muddy the waters with trying to figure out the structure of a disc. It also opens up the making of .mkv files to other tools, like MKVToolNix.