Not all playlists are being read from Elemental Blu-ray?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Rojma

Not all playlists are being read from Elemental Blu-ray?

Post by Rojma »

I am trying to rip the Elemental Blu-ray but have come across a strange problem. The movie itself ripped just fine but when I started to look for some of the extra content/featurettes, I noticed that some of them were missing when I load the disc in MakeMKV. I rechecked that I hadn't missed something when I loaded the Blu-ray in MakeMKV, but I hadn't.

I then started to do some digging. I had a backup of the disc on my hard drive (part of my normal workflow). I proceeded to play the disc using VLC with full menus with Procmon running in the background. From there, I was able to tell that the playlist associated with one of the missing extra content was 01936.mpls. That playlist only plays one file - 01110.m2ts.

Looking at the disc contents, first I verified that 01936.mpls was in the PLAYLIST folder and that 01110.m2ts was in the STREAM folder. They both were in the corresponding folders.

I then reloaded the disc in MakeMKV and checked the log it creates when it reads the disc contents. No mention of the 01936.mpls. Instead, it just completely skips it:

File 01607.mpls was added as title #57
File 01943.mpls was added as title #58

I went back to the backup and in the PLAYLIST folder, there are 183 playlists between 01607 and 01943 that MakeMKV is just completely skipping! There are also other playlists that it appears that MakeMKV is skipping because there are a total of 395 playlists, but looking at the log it seems like MakeMKV only read 69 of them.

Note that this is not a problem with playlist length (I set that to 0 for troubleshooting purposes) nor is it a duplicate playlist - I never see a log entry about playlist 1936 being skipped because its duplicate.

The m2ts files (including 01110.m2ts) are being seen by MakeMKV and ultimately I could rip those to retrieve the content. However, several of these missing playlists consist of multiple m2ts files and I would have to manually reassemble them using MKVToolNix. Additionally, I am going to have to use ProcMon while playing that content to figure out what m2ts files are associated with each featurette.

I am having this problem with MakeMKV 1.17.6 in both Windows 11 and in a Docker container running on UnRaid. I searched the forums and found some other posts about strange issues with the Elemental discs. For example, for one person, it crashed MakeMKV on their Windows PC. The same happened to me the first time I tried to load it, but in my MakeMKV container running on UnRaid.

Any insights would be appreciated.