Star Wars Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Strangeness

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
TheGreatNi

Star Wars Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Strangeness

Post by TheGreatNi »

Hi all. I've been trying out makemkv for awhile, and I can say I'm quite satisfied with it. I'll more than likely purchase it in the future.

Anyways, I received this for christmas: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Epis ... rs+blu+ray. I haven't bothered with them until recently because I have been waiting for my external blu ray drive to arrive, which it did a few days ago. I decided to test it out with a different blu ray movie I had already ripped, and it worked as expected. However, when I inserted any of the blu rays in the combo pack, they failed to even register on the drive at all, as if I had never inserted a disc in the first place.
I have been able to confirm it is some sort of disc issue and not a drive issue. Further, I tried playing the star wars blu rays on a friends blu ray player, and lo and behold, it played.

Is this a known issue? Or am I too much of a newb to see what I'm doing wrong?
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Strangeness

Post by Woodstock »

"Did not register" as in, when you try to navigate to the disk with Explorer (or whatever file manager you use, you didn't say what operating system), it appears that nothing is there?

MakeMKV is limited to accessing disks the operating system acknowledges are in the drive, so that is the first test.

And, just to make sure, the drive in question IS bluray capable, yes?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheGreatNi

Post by TheGreatNi »

Woodstock wrote:"Did not register" as in, when you try to navigate to the disk with Explorer (or whatever file manager you use, you didn't say what operating system), it appears that nothing is there?

MakeMKV is limited to accessing disks the operating system acknowledges are in the drive, so that is the first test.

I've tried it in more than one blu ray capable drive, and like I said in my OP, I successfully ripped a movie with it before trying the star wars discs.

Yes, I'm on windows (8.1). Again, like the OP says, it's as if I did not insert a disc. Nothing shows up. My question was is this some sort of known issue with the blu rays themselves, that the community might know about.
TheGreatNi

Post by TheGreatNi »

TheGreatNi wrote:
Woodstock wrote:"Did not register" as in, when you try to navigate to the disk with Explorer (or whatever file manager you use, you didn't say what operating system), it appears that nothing is there?

I've tried it in more than one blu ray capable drive, and like I said in my OP, I successfully ripped a movie with it before trying the star wars discs.

Yes, I'm on windows (8.1). Again, like the OP says, it's as if I did not insert a disc. Nothing shows up. My question was is this some sort of known issue with the blu rays themselves, that the community might know about.
So... is that a no?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I can't offer much on your exact situation - If Windows is saying "no disk", there isn't a whole lot MakeMKV can do to work around that.

In Windows Explorer, can you click on the drive and get SOMETHING in response? Or does Windows eject the disk and say, "insert a disk"?
TheGreatNi

Post by TheGreatNi »

Woodstock wrote:I can't offer much on your exact situation - If Windows is saying "no disk", there isn't a whole lot MakeMKV can do to work around that.

In Windows Explorer, can you click on the drive and get SOMETHING in response? Or does Windows eject the disk and say, "insert a disk"?
I was mostly wondering if these discs have a known issue, which that doesn't seem to be it.

Lemme give you the run down:

1. Insert previously ripped BD
2. Wait for it to show up in "My Computer"
3. It shows up
4. MakeMKV allows me to rip it
5. Eject previously ripped BD
6. Insert any of the star wars discs (EP 4, 5, or 6)
7. Wait for it to show up in "My Computer"
8. It doesn't show up. Nothing. It's as if I never inserted a disc
9. Eject star wars disc
(sometimes) 10. drive won't recognize previously ripped BD

10 doesn't always happen, and a reboot usually solves it. My drive doesn't have firmware updates, bla bla bla. It HAS ripped BDs, it's these specifically that aren't working. If this is a known issue, then that's that. I just want to know, as I'd like to back em up. Sorry if I haven't been clear in my previous posts, and thanks for your continuing help
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the Star Wars disk is the first one into the drive after a reboot, does it show up?

There have been anomalies with how Windows handles the eject command, which would not show up if the disk to be ripped is the FIRST disk in. But, if Windows doesn't load the disk when it is the first one in, there is something else going on.
TheGreatNi

Post by TheGreatNi »

Woodstock wrote:If the Star Wars disk is the first one into the drive after a reboot, does it show up?

There have been anomalies with how Windows handles the eject command, which would not show up if the disk to be ripped is the FIRST disk in. But, if Windows doesn't load the disk when it is the first one in, there is something else going on.
Here's what I did:

1. Put disc into drive (with computer booted up)
2. Disc doesn't show up, as to be expected
3. Reboot computer
4. Login, check My Computer
5. Disc still doesn't show up

That wasn't it. I'm just at a loss how it's THESE discs specifically that won't work, but clearly there is something strange going on...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If there is a disk in the drive, Windows should show the disk name and allow you to browse its folders in Explorer. For a DVD, you should at least be able to take a directory of either VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS. On a Bluray, you'll see the directories AACS, BDMV and CERTIFICATE.

If Windows doesn't show those, it isn't able to read the disk, which means it won't show it to MakeMKV.
TheGreatNi

Post by TheGreatNi »

Woodstock wrote:If there is a disk in the drive, Windows should show the disk name and allow you to browse its folders in Explorer. For a DVD, you should at least be able to take a directory of either VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS. On a Bluray, you'll see the directories AACS, BDMV and CERTIFICATE.

If Windows doesn't show those, it isn't able to read the disk, which means it won't show it to MakeMKV.
I understand that. Like I said in my OP, I was just looking if these discs are known to be uncracked yet, etc.

It's just frustrating to have no options, and that windows is being dumb.