The Wayback Machine - Avatar Extended Collector's Edition

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Jayhawg

The Wayback Machine - Avatar Extended Collector's Edition

Post by Jayhawg »

Hey guys,

Okay, I think I've followed protocol here. This is an old release, obviously, and I did what I think is a pretty thorough search of the forums for the answer to my question, and never found it. Which leads me to believe I'm making a simple mistake.

So, I am currently in the process of archiving my collection, and I'm still new at this - still in the "A" section. Of course, back when Avatar was released, I had to have the Extended Collector's Edition with all that extra footage. It hasn't aged quite as well as I hoped, but that's another story.

Anyway, last night I go to rip the ECE with MKV. Now, the disc has three versions of the movie on it - Theatrical release, extended edition, extended collector's edition. And as soon as it finishes scanning the disc, MKV is already acting differently than on any disc I've ripped so far. Whereas every other time ALL tracks on the discs are selected and if I wanted to trim it down I had to do it manually, this one already has the largest/longest of the titles selected. Which is the one I want, so I'm thinking "Great!" Only I go to rip it and everything tumbles down into flames.

It took an inordinately short time to rip, and when the process finished it listed it as "Failed." I upgraded MKV to the latest version and tried again, from scratch. Same result. Tried the other movie tracks. Same result.

Since this release is so old (2009, I think?) I'm hoping there's a simple fix I've just overlooked. Do I need to post any additional info? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Would you even remember? Help me, makemkv forums! Be my personal Obi-Wan!
Woodstock

Re: The Wayback Machine - Avatar Extended Collector's Editio

Post by Woodstock »

Without seeing WHAT failed (it would be in the debugging log, see link in my signature if you don't have this turned on already), there isn't a lot to say. I'd have to dig my copy out to test it, but it should rip just fine with the current version of MakeMKV.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Jayhawg

Post by Jayhawg »

Woodstock wrote:Without seeing WHAT failed (it would be in the debugging log, see link in my signature if you don't have this turned on already), there isn't a lot to say. I'd have to dig my copy out to test it, but it should rip just fine with the current version of MakeMKV.
Thanks so much, Woodstock! I'm not at a place where I can get to it, but will as soon as I can.

One additional bit of info - there are way too many chapters listed with the movie titles. Like, we're talking 74 chapters for the ECE, 72 for the EE, and 54 for the TR. That can't be right and strikes me as part of what's wrong.
Jayhawg

Post by Jayhawg »

Jayhawg wrote:
Woodstock wrote:Without seeing WHAT failed (it would be in the debugging log, see link in my signature if you don't have this turned on already), there isn't a lot to say. I'd have to dig my copy out to test it, but it should rip just fine with the current version of MakeMKV.
Thanks so much, Woodstock! I'm not at a place where I can get to it, but will as soon as I can.

One additional bit of info - there are way too many chapters listed with the movie titles. Like, we're talking 74 chapters for the ECE, 72 for the EE, and 54 for the TR. That can't be right and strikes me as part of what's wrong.

Yeah, it looks like it has something to do with BD+ protection?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Did you get a "No FUTs" message in the rip? If so, do you have "Allow contacting web server for updates" checked in Preferences->General?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Jayhawg

Post by Jayhawg »

Woodstock wrote:Did you get a "No FUTs" message in the rip? If so, do you have "Allow contacting web server for updates" checked in Preferences->General?
It is checked indeed! And I did not receive that message. Really wish I had the logfile. Son of a B.

It looks like a bunch of people ran into this issue upon this version's release, but no definitive solution was found. At least none I can find. There's just way too many chapters listed, which I'm assuming is a form of copy protection meant to obfuscate the data. So weird.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

Same problem here, way too many chapters...
Wondercow

Post by Wondercow »

I'm afraid that I have no direct help for your current problem, but I can confirm that, back in 2011, I ripped the same set without issue. Sometimes different countries, and even stores, get different masters so it may be (un)helpful to know that this was from Best Buy in Canada.

Good luck :)
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

My UK retail ripped fine. 161 mins long. 35 chapters.

Ripped with version 1.7.10.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

The problem is that MakeMKV detects the wrong playlists in the German version.

MakeMKV detects mpls 1, 2 and 3. Those are the playlists with way too many chapters.

The correct playlists with correct chapters are 850, 851 and 852!

But MakeMKV states...

Code: Select all

Title 00850.mpls is equal to title 00001.mpls and was skipped
Title 00851.mpls is equal to title 00002.mpls and was skipped
Title 00852.mpls is equal to title 00003.mpls and was skipped
There is no way to manually chose those correct playlists in MakeMKV.

Can this be fixed?
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

This is still unfixed in current MakeMKV version... I am not able to rip Avatar correctly, because MakeMKV preselects wrong playlists in German version of this bluray.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

Still unfixed... although i've sent all relevant information by mail :(
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

Still unfixed :(
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

I recently tried ripping the UK blu-ray release of Avatar (Extended Collector's Edition - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avatar-Extende ... 003UVAAPQ/) with the latest version of MakeMKV (1.10.6) and found that it lists way too many chapters (73!) for the film (with the resulting MKV file therefore having too many chapters!), when it should have 43 chapters (with the last chapter obviously being false, so 42 should be the correct number, which is what is displayed in the scene selection menu when playing the disc on any commercial blu-ray player!), why is it selecting the wrong playlists? For quite an old blu-ray release now (2010!), this issue really should be fixed in MakeMKV!

On a side note, it also came up with loads of A/V synchronization messages when creating the MKV file (why is this, is it to do with there being 3 different versions of the same film on 1 disc?), this has never happened with any other blu-ray disc that I've ripped in the past with MakeMKV, however the resulting file plays back fine, it just has way too many chapters!

I also tried ripping the film with the latest version of DVDFab, and guess what, it selected the playlists with the correct number of chapters, with the resulting MKV file having 43 chapters which is what the film should have!

Here are the correct chapters that MakeMKV is not selecting!: http://chapterdb.org/browse/7164 And here is what MakeMKV is producing: http://chapterdb.org/browse/7257

Please fix this issue Mike!
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

This issue still occurs in version 1.10.7 of MakeMKV!

All three versions of Avatar present on disc 1 of the extended collector's edition (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avatar-Extende ... 003UVAAPQ/) have too many chapters because MakeMKV is selecting the wrong playlists, with the resulting MKV files therefore having too many chapters!

I therefore recommend ripping this particular film with DVDFab if you want it done properly, I'll be very suprised if this issue ever gets fixed in MakeMKV! :evil: