"Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike admin

"Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Post by mike admin »

Update: Please make sure you are making disc backup with 1.10.1 or newer, as earlier versions skip important BD-Java files during backup.

The next version of MakeMKV should include support for the "fake playlist" protection, also known as BD-java protection or ScreenPass. Your help is needed. We need the data to validate that this functionality indeed works and test the new functionality. If you have such discs (especially newly-released ones!), and are willing to help please do the following:

- Make a full disc backup with MakeMKV, encrypted or decrypted, doesn't matter. This step might be skipped, but please note that as part of protection these discs usually contain a large number of fake files. Using MakeMKV for backup will remove these.
- Delete (or move to some other location) two folders from the backup - STREAM and BDSVM. Alternatively delete all M2TS, SSIF and SVM files.
- Compress the folder with the backup with any archiver of your choice and share the produced file on the dropbox.com or any other file sharing service of your choice.
- Send a link to support@makemkv.com . If you know the correct playlist number, please note it as well, but this is not really important.
matt198t

Re: "Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Post by matt198t »

I have 'Good Kill' UK Blu-ray which has these fake playlists.

I will try and do this tomorrow for you mike.
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

Sent
nick2421

Post by nick2421 »

Love the Coopers retail UPC 031398237907 has been sent.

Thank You.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Hi Mike, On weekend I'll send you insurgant directory. This movie has screen pass cashed protection. Uses a fake mpls to hide the original. PM me if you need a beta tester or need help with how this protection works. Me and Rotty came up with a way with mpls finder. You can contact him via Redsoft boards. Not to knock Slysoft but the Java requires each disk to be treated different as one movie can contain many different variables with screen pass. If you go down this road you will be busy patching disks all day long.....
preserve

Post by preserve »

OMG, this would be a godsend.

Especially because the studios that do this apparently love to make the discs different in Canada too, so threads on this topic where people are identifiying the good playlists normally don't help me.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
pdbailey34

Post by pdbailey34 »

I'm very excited for this functionality, it's not in 1.9.10 though, is it?
preserve

Post by preserve »

I sent in my Canadian Insurgent about a week ago.

Let us know if you need more sent in!
MZAdotcom

Post by MZAdotcom »

This is fantastic, I will do what I can to help.

Didn't know what it was called before this thread, but have run into it with several BR discs, including Escape Plan, Sicario and Man Up.

One question, though: I have heard that Dropbox is NOT safe and is being monitored/etc. by, shall we say, certain government agencies. As I don't have/want an account there, is there an alternative that would work for you?

Cheers.
@HTPC: Intel NUC HTPC [BOXDN2820FYKH0] | Plextor 128GB SIII SSD | G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | Win 10 Pro | SAMSUNG 55" LED HDTV | Harman/Kardon 5.1 AV Receiver [AVR 1565] | Dolby TrueHD | DTS-MA HD | Polk Audio 5.1 Home Theater System w/10" SW
WibsWobs

Post by WibsWobs »

Ah interesting. My new disc, "Norm of the North" has this exact problem. Are you still in need of test data?
BlueWolf

Post by BlueWolf »

Would be great to add a "Get Disk Info" button that would create a mkvi file with all the info from the disk without having to rip anything.
kar82

Post by kar82 »

The BluRay Tomorrowland (A World Beyond) have the same problem with the fake playlist protection. I have the german version of this BluRay. I have sent the data to you!
MZAdotcom

Post by MZAdotcom »

Any news about an alternative to using Dropbox?

As mentioned before, I've heard that Dropbox is not safe, is being monitored/tracked. I don't have an account there and don't want to create one.

Would really like to contribute as I've run across several BRD's with the problem in question.

Thanks again.
@HTPC: Intel NUC HTPC [BOXDN2820FYKH0] | Plextor 128GB SIII SSD | G.SKILL 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | Win 10 Pro | SAMSUNG 55" LED HDTV | Harman/Kardon 5.1 AV Receiver [AVR 1565] | Dolby TrueHD | DTS-MA HD | Polk Audio 5.1 Home Theater System w/10" SW
MakOwner

Post by MakOwner »

mike admin wrote:Update: MakeMKV v 1.10.0 has limited support for BD-Java discs. Please make sure you are making disc backup with 1.10.0 or newer, as earlier versions skip important BD-Java files during backup.

The next version of MakeMKV should include support for the "fake playlist" protection, also known as BD-java protection or ScreenPass. Your help is needed. We need the data to validate that this functionality indeed works and test the new functionality. If you have such discs (especially newly-released ones!), and are willing to help please do the following:

- Make a full disc backup with MakeMKV, encrypted or decrypted, doesn't matter. This step might be skipped, but please note that as part of protection these discs usually contain a large number of fake files. Using MakeMKV for backup will remove these.
- Delete (or move to some other location) two folders from the backup - STREAM and BDSVM. Alternatively delete all M2TS, SSIF and SVM files.
- Compress the folder with the backup with any archiver of your choice and share the produced file on the dropbox.com or any other file sharing service of your choice.
- Send a link to support@makemkv.com . If you know the correct playlist number, please note it as well, but this is not really important.

I'm using 1.10.0 and I'm trying to do a backup of The Lobster and submit the content as described above -- however, the "backup" function in the GUI is not available.
How do I make a backup and collect the files as described?

Oh, and it it makes a difference, I'm using the Linux version on Mint 17.

And although I'm not conversant the CLI application, I tried makemkvcon and the help indicates that I can backup from an ISO, file, disc or device, however, each method only results in the following output:

Code: Select all

akeMKV v1.10.0 linux(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as MakeMKV_log.txt
DEBUG: Code 0 at -2"La?DD~_tL)[@w+6A1:29398760
Backup source must start with "disc:"
preserve

Post by preserve »

Is help still needed for this feature, or is it fully implemented now?

I ask because I see some folks still posting and asking about playlists.

I haven't had a playlist disc myself for a while now - when I open a few old Lionsgate/eOne ones, they all now include descriptions that allow me to identify all the items on the disc (including special features), with the movie itself usually named "FPL_MainFeature" and grouped in the top section, with all the fake playlists then following below.

(It's super handy having those descriptions in the output of "makemkvcon -r info" too.)

If this is fully implemented now, this thread could probably be unstickied, and/or updated with a more definitive statement re: implementation, update of the text "The next version of MakeMKV should include support" and details re: the requirement - Java? - for it to work.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00