Certain Blu Rays "freeze" when converting to MKV

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Cassius

Certain Blu Rays "freeze" when converting to MKV

Post by Cassius »

When I attempt to convert the title track to a MKV file on certain movies (X-Men First Class, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix), it rips it to around 9 gigabytes, then it stops outputting, and adds nothing else to the file, it also causes the estimated time left to raise, not lower. Is this a software issue or an issue with the disk itself? All of the before mentioned movies play fine on a Blu Ray player.

Thanks, Cassius
Woodstock

Re: Certain Blu Rays "freeze" when converting to MKV

Post by Woodstock »

I've ripped all three titles you list with MakeMKV, so it is not likely to be a problem with MakeMKV decoding the data.

How much space do you have on the destination drive? Do you get a different result if you specify a different drive as the destination?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Cassius

Post by Cassius »

I attempted to rip all three to a Western Digital Blue drive with about 500gb space left, I will attempt to rip the movies to my SSD

Thanks for the help, Cassius
Cassius

Post by Cassius »

After trying to rip all of the movies to my SSD, the same issue kept occurring, the SSD made no difference
maximus

Post by maximus »

First off, I am new to MakeMKV, just finished ripping my collection of about 150 movies, only 4 discs failed. Great piece of software.

I had similar issues with 2 of my discs, except that the crash already happens before I start copying the movie, during 'processing titles'. The discs in question are
Last Action Hero http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Last-Acti ... -ray/9590/ and
Terminator 3 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminato ... -ray/5236/

I will try to follow the instruction here /faq/item/8 to send the information.
fledgelingfletcher

Post by fledgelingfletcher »

Yep, I'm having this problem too. Plenty of space left on my HDD.
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

I've ripped every xmen movie, all harry potters including fantastic creatures, the entire terminator franchise and last action hero. No issues.

I'm only guessing at the problem, but if I wanted to recreate it, I'd use a disk with errors and then set a really high retry count. The result would be that the process would appear to stop, the time count would increase and nothing else would happen for a while making it look like the application hangs.

In the menu, go to View->Properties. Click on the IO tab. Set your retry to 1. Rerip and see how it reacts.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

It would also help if the logfile text of the error message for each disc was posted here; lots of good assumptions are being made but the error message may provide more clarity and definitive course of action.
fledgelingfletcher

Post by fledgelingfletcher »

Problem is fixed (for me) with the latest update.

"Bug fixes:

Program could hang with ASSERT on certain multi-segment titles"